Landstar Agent

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Marduk, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Marduk

Marduk Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Hello everyone,

I'm really liking the idea of becoming a LS agent. I have been in freight brokerage for the last 3 months or so, learning a thing or two about the industry, I am aware that I have even more to learn and this is one of those industries where you will ALWAYS learn even more. My co-dispatcher talked to me about becoming a LS agent. I am really interested in the idea because honestly, the current place I'm at is just not cutting it for me, great work experience but lots of managerial favoritism and petty complaints along with micro-management. Plus, the review/raise promised did not happen and will not happen until next year, according to them.

So with that being said, what kind of experience will I need to sign on with LS as an agent? I think my current situation will serve as my platform to bigger and better things.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Much obliged..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

how about working with Sammons?
    I hear they are looking for good agents

4. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    There is a Landstar agent on here regularly, he goes by LSAgentOZR, he would be the one to talk to. Try the search option to locate him.

5. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
  6. dloving8915

dloving8915 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Adam is a good guy and seems very easy to deal with. I think he would be a great source for you to get your answers. LSAgentOZR i believe is his screen name. We have hauled for him in the past and he has ALWAYS been fair

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If I remember correctly, Landstar requires that you have a minimum of $350,000 in business to bring with you in order to become an agent. If that is not possible, you might work something out with another agent and act like a sub agent until you get your clientèle built up. I don't believe the amount of revenue is listed on their basic requirement. I don't recall if they require a minimum amount of time in business, but they normally look for those who have already established themselves and want to make a change. Some whom I have known who are agents had their own trucking companies or brokerages before going to Landstar. I have also met some who only deal with other brokers or 3pl's. Landstar would like to get rid of them and only have agents who have their own direct freight. The more hands in the pie the less for the owner operator or BCO. Good luck.

8. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Ohhh OZR where have you gone...

9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Not trying to slam you, but?, Is that the only three months you have for experience?, expecting raises pretty quickly?

jbatmick Thanks this.
  10. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Please don't. I mean nothing offensive by this, but you truly haven't even reached the tip of the iceberg on what you need to know to be a GOOD agent for Landstar. We have enough so-called "agents" here who are completely inexperienced and inept at their job. These types treat our BCO's and brokered carriers like second class citizens and have no common sense of customer service, giving us all a bad name. If you want to do this, and do it right, go to work as a dispatcher for a well known agency who will teach you what you need to know. Learn the ins and outs of Truckload, LTL, Intermodal, and Heavy Haul. Learn industry regulations, individual state laws, and the information you need to give your drivers so they can do the good job they are committed to doing. Give yourself at least one year, if not two and get to know the ins and outs.

Say my name three times and I appear! Thank you all for the kind comments. We work very hard to be considered one of the best agencies here at Landstar. I apologize for being inactive but we have been extremely busy the last several weeks.

Mike, I apologize. I just got your voicemail yesterday and will give you a call first thing tomorrow.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  11. VT880volvo

VT880volvo Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2012
    LsagentOZR if you don't mind me asking what are the requirements to become an approved carrier for landstar?will receive my authority in 10-15 days.is it impossible for a new carrier to get approved?I hauled landstar freight while I was leased on to a carrier and they would be happy to recommend me.thanks for your time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.