Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    It's not that I'm comfortable with them tracking my every move, it's more that I just don't care. I run legal and I think they have better things to do than track me. However, should they have nothing better to do, than track on Big bro....I have nothing to hide. The debate over EOBR's I believe is over. It's just a matter of when you jump on board or jump out of the game completely. I haven't decided to jump on just yet, but I will if that's what the mandate says.
    Back to my original question......LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    harassment is when a carrier can ping your truck and wake up the qualcomm and send a message to alarm it.

If you the driver are sleeping in the back of the truck and suddenly are woken up from an unexpected alarm, what would you call it?

That to me is harassment.

I know when I need to get up to make my appointment on time. Don't be calling me or pinging my system because you think I should be up after a 10 hour break.

I can control when/how I moved the truck and I did. The first time my dispatcher did that to me, I called and had a polite word with her.

The second time, I called and had an unpleasant word with the owner.

It never happened again.

You can claim how you learned all you want in vietnam or whereever.

We have allowed our government to put these nannies in our trucks and accepted them. I have known what is / is not recorded in cars for more than 20 years. And the big difference is, you have to have physical possession of a vehicle in a controlled environment (Service shop or forensic lab) compared to a company or office being able to download data live via satellite or cell link to the vehicle.

windsmith Thanks this.
  4. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

Then you are actually (IMO again) part of the problem.

You accept the little incremental removal and invasion of your privacy by the powers that be.

Until one day you are going to wake up and go, "Oh ####, when did that happen?" when you realize that you have none.

carwreck and gokiddogo Thank this.
  5. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest

Truck609 Thanks this.
  6. Truck609

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Ok, if you have this big of an issue with your qualcomm, just do what we did years and years and years ago....pull the dang fuse! You're beating a dead horse whinning about government. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that government has too much control. I'm not arguing that with you...but it is what it is...either deal with it or find something else to do. Like I said earlier, this is the same game it has always been...moving freight...only the rules change in how you get it done.

7. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'll agree with them that I don't care if the government tracks me. As for the ping thing, that sucks that your dispatcher did that. Our dispatchers have not done that to anyone. No one ever calls me when I take a 15 hour break. No one cares. I hardly even hear from my dispatcher as long as I get my loads done on time.

I will say I've never been woken up by an alarm or ever been harassed by my company.

Ethan

8. Truck609

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    I'm part of the problem? Really? Ok, oh great and mighty one.....please, tell us how we should proceed. (this ought to be interesting)

9. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

Unfortunately, it is not that simply.

You (IMO) are rolling over and accepting it as status quo because someone says you have to.

If it's not acceptable to you, then why are you agreeing to it? Speak up and tell people, "NO, I don't agree to this!!!"

And yet you are agreeing to allow them to put the nanny box in your truck.

10. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    You do make a valid point.

I don't believe its an invasion of privacy or anything like that.

Ethan

11. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    That nanny box can't keep you from unplugging it or to just keep driving over your hours.

You get stuck at a customer over your 14? There are ways to cheat e logs, people will find it one day.

Ethan

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.