Landstar / EOBR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truck609, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    pick a topic in your life.

You kids' schooling, your ability to remodel your house. Where you live. If you work outside of trucking.

Everything you do, there are government rules or regulations controlling every aspect of your life.

Mandatory seatbelts, now texting laws, on and on and on.

How soon before they decide that home-made / grown food is not healthy for you and you must buy it in a grocery store? There are already communities that are banning gardens in your own yards.

How do you fix it? Speak out against things when they matter and tell the rule makers you don't agree with it.

And when they put something in place you don't agree, then work to remove them from public office.

If this is becoming political, sorry.

But that's the solution to an ugly situation that's being stuffed down a drivers throat for something we don't necessarily even need.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    It really is that simple. Your voice is your vote, and I vote. I have not yet put the EOBR in my truck, but am debating about it. What I'm debating about is when to do it. If it HAS to be done, and I can do it now for FREE as opposed to later when I have to PAY, then YES I will consider it....meaning, ask questions about it (this thread for example) and educate myself about them so I can make an informed decision....that just makes sense. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    And you are still there for what reason? It is only harassment if YOU chose to stay there and let it happen. I have made it quite clear to the carrier I am with, that there will be no such childish acts on their part. I refuse to be baby sat like I just crawled into a truck. I can easily chose to leave, and they know it. Why don't you? Don't put up with their nonsense, or shut up.

Truck609 Thanks this.
  5. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

All you have done is provided the rope at that point to the auditor to hang you with.

Where in the HOS regs is it written that you can move your truck after 14 hours because a shipper/consignee is kicking you off the property?

It provides for 2 hours for emergency or bad weather, but not for an extended detention time.

6. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

You didn't catch the part I am now an Owner/Operator now.

I have considered putting an EOBR in my truck only to protect me from illegal and erroneous speeding tickets like what happened to me in May of this year.

7. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Well, looks like this thread is long gone......was trying to gain useful information about EOBR's not back track a decade and argue about how much control Big Brother has on the world.....I'm outta here. Thanks to all who provided useful, relevant information on the topic.

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  8. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    sorry you feel that way.

The EOBR's aren't likely to be compliant with the requirements for what's to come out in 2015.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Take the time and read this question addressed by the FMCSA in question number 26. Problem solved.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=395.8&guidence=Y

If I am doing nothing for the carrier, I am not under dispatch, etc, I may log driving time for personal conveyance as OFF DUTY. That OFF DUTY DRIVING can be a part of any 10hr break I am taking and it has no relevance to the 14 hr. And before you say it, it has NOTHING to do with whether I am bobtail or have an empty trailer hook on. True, it is not allowed if loaded, but I mentioned that in my previous post. But I am not going to let that stop me if I must leave a customer property and go a short distance to another place to finish out my 10 hr break. I will log it OFF DUTY DRIVING. Out of all the things an auditor can find, going thru all the drivers at a company, the odds of them dinging me because a traveled a couple of miles to another location and logged it off duty, even though I had a load on, it so remote. It is a risk (only if loaded) for sure. But not one I am going to lose sleep over. I have done this for a long, long time, and I have been thru so many audits and dot checks that I lost track, and it has never even been mentioned once by anyone, even the safety departments of all the carriers I have been involved with. Even in the almost 2 years using EOBR.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  10. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

If you are under dispatch, you can't do that with your truck.

The highlight, bold and red font is mine by the way.

11. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    It doesn't say you can but some people will move their trucks, such as myself. If my 14 expires at a customer and they have no parking, I leave.

I refuse to sleep in the street so I will find somewhere to park.

Ethan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.