Landstar flatbed division

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Battle Born, Feb 26, 2014.

1. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    LS does the same. If you get enough gold stars, it's a perk. Agent calls with a gig and books your truck. They post the load for 5 minutes and tell you there's a truck on it. They called a a guy and booked him, before they even posted the load.

Welcome to the real world!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CactusJay

CactusJay Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2014
    I wonder if there are any Landstar Flatbedders that would let me pick their brains as well.. I'm in the same boat. Did my first year and change with Prime flatbed division, now looking to lease on to a real company with better rates. It has come down to Landstar and Mercer at this point. I've been accepted to both.

My average this year for all dispatched miles (loaded and empty) was around 1.37/mi. That's 48 state OTR and running wherever forced-dispatch says to go. Pretty sure I can do better on my own, hopefully 10-20% better or more.

Anyway, can anyone offer any insight as to which company might be better as far as load availability and average rates? Seems like LS could have a bigger freight network, but maybe with a 48' flat Mercer might have more loads to run. From what I've read, the culture at Mercer seems awesome, but I feel like I'm familiar with the better lanes and wouldn't mind booking my own loads at all.

I own my truck (well, most of it.. The bank still owns some too, heh) but don't have a trailer. If I go with LS, planning on buying a trailer before I start if I can find a good deal. If not, might just rent one of theirs for a few weeks until a deal pops up.

I guess the big question is: Which company would have more loads available and of there is a small difference in freight rates, who's would be higher with a 48' flat?

This time of year is rough, I know. Probably the worst time to switch companies because freight is relatively scarce. I can't take Prime's forced-dispatch, did my one year and I'm out. Guys that don't buy into their lease program get the loads only after company drivers and lease ops have been taken care of (my opinion)..

Any thoughts/advice/criticisms? Might get a 53 foot step or even a sliding-axle 53' flat if I can afford it, but need to be CA and FL compliant so I can chase the best rates. Seems like 48 footers have the best load availability however, which is key.

Thanks all

truckfam Thanks this.
  4. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    FL and CA aren't two states that one could make a lot of money in. I think the rates are pretty much the same as far as 48 Flat and step is concerned. Depending on where you live would be a big thing when choosing a company. Our systems are totally different and I think both have a gift and a curse. My buddy is at Landstar and he likes it and trash talk me about our system at mercer (outta fun). Landstar flatbedder ls I talk always have positive stuff to say about the star. As for me I'm happy at mercer as well as most of the guys on our thread. But ask questions about each system and figure out which one you'd like best

CactusJay Thanks this.
  5. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    You ask good questions, for sure. LS loads on our board can be a joke. I have a "naughty list" for a reason.

We have a 48' step and question our choice, at times. I always book our loads. Our 48 SD is more accommodating for OD loads. If we had a 53', we could haul more. We bought what we could afford.

We've never ran for Mercer so I can't say anything about them.

We've been with LS for 5 years. My husband has never wanted to jump because our loads are on us. I hate some of the agents and tried to file complaints, but it's all on us. I have a good list and a naughty list.

We're strictly O/O so I can't help you there, either. We're usually broke in February. Save up for it, before hand.

Nothing else to tell you.

6. CactusJay

Aug 18, 2014
    Agreed that there isn't a lot of good freight in CA and FL. Some of my best loads have been into CA but then you either have to bounce around the west coast for a while or take an awful paying load to get back east.

Really I live on the truck for now. Technically my family and friends are mostly in Arizona and Colorado, but I only see them and pick up my mail when I'm passing thru. Otherwise I just like to run. So it doesn't matter too much in my case where I call home since I hope to pick some Midwest lanes and run around that area for as long as I can find good freight. Great advice thank you, I might as well shoot for a 48' flat trailer since they're cheaper and if I have to miss out on the occasional sweet military load that requires a step (or whatever it might be) so be it.

7. CactusJay

Aug 18, 2014
    That's all great information. You don't see too many 48' steps anymore, I like the unusual trailers. Keeps things interesting. So you guys are definitely fans of the dropdeck though huh, maybe there is something to that because I hear that often from Landstar people.

8. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    From my research, I would say Landstar would have more step deck freight, and probably Mercer would have the edge with a 48flat. Keep in mind you will have to be patient at either company, learn the system.

CactusJay Thanks this.
  9. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    About 80% of military moves that I've been apart of require all 3 trailers. 20 flats 20 steps and 20 RGNs so you won't really miss out. Honestly volume is why I like the 48 flat.

CactusJay Thanks this.
  10. CactusJay

Aug 18, 2014
    I hear you on that one. More volume = easier to get back-hauls and take great paying loads to some oddball areas without fear of getting stuck for a few days.

11. truckfam

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    We've been here for a few years. I'm sure glad y'all know everything and can teach us!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.