Landstar Reefer

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by kbarttt, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well there's like 50 to 75 van loads for every reefer load.

And from what I've seen, 90% of those are in the Midwest, and A LOT of the van loads pay better, considerably better.

I mean, don't you think you'd see a bunch of BCO's dragging refers if it were better?

Jarhed1964 and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    That's great to hear. I'm nowhere near being able to take the jump but I figured I'd read about it now to have a better idea later.

I watch this guy in YouTube "idiotic ramblings" or something. He bought a decked out Pete and great Dane trailer. He made it at Landstar and now has his own authority. I figured if he can with that truck/trailer and being solo. I probably could also with a freightliner/Volvo (better mpg) while also having my wife as co driver. Maybe not for flat out 1200 miles a day runs but I figured it would take the pressure off "not having enough hours" and would allow us to work comfortably.

Anyhow that's one of my goals/visions. Just need the capital to make it happen. Not in a rush either, we have to see how it will all be once the market settles a little bit more. Everyone and their mothers are buying trucks lately, it seems like

Jarhed1964 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Landstar is very competitive.

Agents are also competitive.

They are also very busy.

No way are they going down a list asking if you are available. Do you want this load.

It's too much time.

When a really good load pops up, it's gone in minutes. Even seconds.

And the agents with the superior freight don't fool around with it. It's posted, booked, then they move onto their next thing.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I'm starting a fleet.

Van you can book yourself out for WEEKS with good freight.

I haven't developed my little system because I think it makes less money.

Jarhed1964 and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

Yep. I've been at LS for three years. I get my loads either by working the load board or by calling agents I've had good loads from before. Many of the best loads never make to the load board because drivers know about them and call for them in advance. Keep notes!!!

In my experience when an agent calls me it's because he has something he can't move. In three years I've only accepted one load from an agent who cold called me.

7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Actually I know just 1 guy here at LS with a reefer. He does very well. I know a few of the places he picks up at at none of them have anything to do with food. Yet, it is temperature sensitive. He’s been working with that agent for years. The more specialized stuff never hits the board because the agents actually DO have a list or an email list that they’ll email or call. I can’t say that for all agents though. I’ve worked the past few weeks strictly from responding to emails. Part of that is because there aren’t a lot of RGN’s at LS. However I still get emails for stuff needing a 53flat which I’ve pulled maybe 2x all year.

Jarhed1964, CorsairFanboy and kbarttt Thank this.
  8. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn
    I have seen a few (a VERY few) van loads that say "no reefers" in the comments section. Other that that, I have no idea why they wouldnt take a reefer instead of a van, unless they also required an e track, load bars, or similar. Part of your problem could be that "east coast" thing. I (currently) run Minnesota - Ohio and back mainly with a van. Once in a while to TN or NC but mainly 1 day stuff in the midwest. And home nearly every weekend. (oh, and I rarely take anything over 25k weight.

I'd like to hear from other reefer pullers to see if they have similar experiences. I have a broker that says he can get me a reefer load out of the Minneapolis area every week making in the $3-4 a mile range. And I figure in the winter, there shouldnt be an issue getting back either. But this is the first Ive heard of brokers having a problem with reefers, other than like I said the very few I have seen that say "no reefers" in the comments section.

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    There's LOTS of loads that require dry van only.

Hint - "Dry Van"

Many don't like a metal floor either.

Jarhed1964, slow.rider and kbarttt Thank this.
  10. kbarttt

kbarttt Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Utah
    This has been my limited experience. It is not the broker who objects but the customer. I have heard from one or two that the metal floors are hard on the forklifts tires. I plan on adding e-tracks to my reefer but once a customer says no to reefers the broker is not likely to go back to them without good reason. I am currently on my first successful dry van run where they originally said no to the reefer but changed their minds due to the fact that we were a team willing to run with the crossbones on our trailer and pick up at LAX and deliver to Miami.

11. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    cr
    crap. my new boss is allllll talking about a reefer and temp controlled hazmat....

all he needs to net, is 15k a month to pay me, the truck, maintenance, and his profit...

oh well?!?

seems like van would be easier overall, especially cuz ill be doing regional runs out from the northeast to the midwest, and then back 6 on 3 off...

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.