Landstar So Far

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Dave_in_AZ, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ladiesman304

ladiesman304 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a couple of questions for the guys that recently started at Landstar. After getting your truck how much did you have to spend til you got to orientation???
    Insurance to move the truck, price of 2290, price for DOT & Landstar inspection, & anything else. Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    what are you delivering?? Tombstones

whoopNride, sealevel and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Dog food. I get to keep 20, yes 20 ratchet straps as a bonus lol.

5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The straps are nice, I have a lot of them too.
    I did a lot of dog food stops in the NorthEast once, a lot of small places with docks that were too high or low. I kept their addresses and directions for a long time because most of them allowed overnight parking.

At least you made the big bucks on the load, unlike me

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    2290 is $500, you don't pay that up front.
    30 day insurance policy for me to move the truck from the dealer to a Landstar inspection station was $460. Used it for like 2 hours, cause as soon as you pass, Landstar puts you on their insurance.
    Truck will come from the dealer with a DOT inspection, which doesn't mean ####, cause mine had several serious violations that I found ( little things like steer tire falling off ), that dealer & Landstar inspector missed.

The Landstar inspection is $25? I think, and you only pay the first one, they pay the rest.

ladiesman304 Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I AM NOT THE MAN.

Missed a portable scale / check point in Colorado today.

Dude stopped me and wouldn't let me go back around.

No citation, but he gave me a level 3, and wrote on it the reason for the inspection was I missed the scale.

I guess this is a written warning? Sent it into safety, probably get fired tomorrow, or after I deliver this load.

They had 4 other trucks stopped near me, all missed the scale.

I swear I never saw the sign. Guess I'm getting old.

whoopNride and kanidana Thank this.
  8. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I just recently realized that this kind of stuff can actually end your career. This is actually CSA points. I was thinking from a four wheeler mentality that warnings mean: get it fixed, don't do it again, etc. Nope. They mean, screw you, wink, you a few points closer to a career end, wink, and you can't fight it in court, wink. Have a nice new years you useless driver. NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE WHILE HOLDING A CDL? MISTAKES ARE FOR IMPERFECT HUMAN BEINGS. CDL HOLDERS ARE NOT IMPERFECT, THUS MISTAKES WILL BE A KICK IN THE SCROTUM. END OF DISCUSSION. THE GUBMENT DECREES.

Sorry, I wasn't being inclusive enough, fill in VAGINAL AREA with SCROTUM for our CDL HOLDING FEMALES.

EDITED FOR NON-INCLUSIVENESS.

CorsairFanboy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I blew past one in Montana, the cheap tiny little sign they put on the ground looked like a five year old did the lettering. I thought it was a trick by a gang wanting to high jack a load, so I kept going.
    Looking down below the overpass as I went by I saw that it was legit, but too late now. Nobody came after me, so I kept on trucking.

sawmill and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I wish you the best of luck Dave.
    It is a weird thing when one little mishap can make us hope Carolina Cargo will hire us. Even a bonafide owner op can be found to be uninsurable over almost nothing.
    I better get to sleep, I may or may not have to work tomorow

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.