Landstar So Far

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Dave_in_AZ, Aug 11, 2017.

1. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    One of the reasons I like pulling my own trailer so much.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Having your own trailer would save on the mental anguish of trailer maintenance, the trailer without the registration, the one where the tandems are so whacked you have to beat the pins in with a hammer, and the one where the belts are showing on a tire or two.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  4. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    All those D.O.T. issues where the norm for me from the previous place I ran for.......

Got a 2 or 3 month old trailer that was a L.S. Xtra lease. Took a couple hours for my brain to process what I seen. Had to pull over to verify what I thought I observed. No airbags -- the dang thing was spring ride. Called and cancelled the next 2 " Air ride required" loads that paid real well.

Couldn't get anything to bridge to a third load so ended up cancelling that one also. Then I couldn't find a descent drop and hook load to get rid of the thing.

Got that P.O.S. in June. Purchased my own trailer in August. I can ignore/forgive a bunch of Incompetence from other B.C.O.s and corporate, But I could not bend over and cough for that.

5. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Actually I can't help but wonder if they do the maintenance the way they do, to persuade everyone to get their own trailers.

They had 100 Great Danes this summer up for grabs. Not a bad price, not the greatest either imo.

What really turned me off to it was the lady that sends you the info was just an absolute C. And acted like they were doing you this giant favor.

I saw some guy with like an '05 Eagle and a flatbed that looked like he pulled it out of field, I mean a true POS, he was pulling a military vehicle lol.

Seen this dude with a an old Schneider trailer, combined with his tractor was one of the ugliest set ups ever lol.

Both BCO's.

sawmill Thanks this.
  6. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Mine is an old beat up A & M west coast fleet trailer -- 2004 Great Dane. It may be ugly but it makes me money.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    And that's all that matters.

Blu_Ogre Thanks this.
  8. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I didn’t buy mine through Landstar. The dealer acted like I was doing him a favor by doing business with him. I got tired of picking up trailers that had issues of one sort or another, and what I was giving up in revenue for the hassle

jsnell and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    If I were gonna get one, I think I'd just pay cash and be done. I don't think I'd get a brand new one.

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I agree completely. Nothing much to a dry van. Just get under it and check for corrosion issues. And get in it and look for holes. check to make sure the doors shut tight. Thats pretty much all three is to a dry van. If take a long string or tape measure with you can check the alignment to make sure its not out of whack so bad it dog legs into the other lane.

jsnell Thanks this.
  11. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I would just add to check any wood for rot and make sure to eyeball all 4 of the long corners for straight/damage to @spyder7723 list.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.