Landstar van standards

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by slow.rider, Oct 3, 2017.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I have a set of super-b trains with the tire inflation system and have had the same experience, the tires just hop back on and fill back up, assuming it’s not a major hole.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    I am looking at joining Landstar in the next month or 2 and have been having a debate with myself over the best option as far as trailers. Initially I was thinking of getting a refer, so if I get into Florida or California I will have an easier time getting out. Then I was thinking, ok, well I can avoid those 2 states easily enough (I live in Minnesota and will probably move to Texas sometime in the next couple of years) since I plan to stay in the central part of the country so mayabe just a van. Then I got to thinking about pre-loaded trailers and not having to do live loads/unloads all the time by pulling their trailers.

Now, I know the real answer to this question is "it depends on what I want to do" but what are peoples experience with Landstars trailers vs their own? And please dont mention the words "flatbed" or any variation of it. I have been driving 30+ years, never pulled flats, and am WAY too old to be crawling around tarpping loads.

4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

I've had quite a few people tell me I should buy a trailer because the seven percent is just too much to give up. The YouTube trucker Jeffery Like says something along those lines as well. I haven't done it though. In the two years I've been here my experience has been that the drop and hook freight is some of the best freight LS has. It isn't just rates either. Shippers are way more flexible on pickup times if they've preloaded the trailer and that makes it easier for me to string a schedule together. I would suggest pulling LS trailers for a few months and then see how you feel about it. I may still buy one if the freight situation changes but for now I'm sticking with company trailers.

Opus and Knightcrawler Thank this.
  5. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Thats helpful and frankly about what I expected. Was just looking for confirmation.

6. Bosscity318

Bosscity318 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Bossier City
    I’m so scared to do drop and hooks, I almost got screwed on a whirlpool load my second week with LS. Nothing but live loads/unloads for me.

7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It's funny you say that. My first D/H load for LS delivered to a DC that didn't have an MT ready. I had to call trailer utilization and get routed to an MT. As a result of that I had to cancel my next load and deadhead to the load after that. It was months before I was willing to try another D/H load. Since then I've only gotten stuck without an MT once. So that's twice in two years. Not bad.

8. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Another thing to think on. Tax deduction for trailer you bought and own.

9. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    After 2.5 years at Landstar I bought my own trailer. There are up sides to both sides of the debate. Many shippers that preload will live load. The revenue my trailer generates more than pays for itself.

10. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    The advice to run a L.S. trailer for a bit is sound in my opinion. Basically you need to make a business decision based on how much Drop and Hook you actually end up doing and compare that time efficiency boost to the increased revenue from having your own.

I have a strong dislike for running company trailers because of not actually knowing the equipment or how it was set up...... A actually ended up with a Spring ride Xtra Lease/Landstar trailer one time (only 2 months old) that I had a hard time getting rid of.

Current trailer is a 2004, Kinda "well worn" looking but makes me money. No logos other than on the tag.

The offset for the higher revenue you get from a refer is balanced out by reduced freight weight you can Haul. Refers tend to be 2k to 3k pounds heavier than a generic van. There have been a few times that I have negotiated a higher rate because I can scale 45k with my van, when others are scared of that weight you can start naming your own rate. When I ran refers at the previous place I was maxed out about 42.5k. Refers do open you up for the "keep from freezing" winter freight.

W9onTime Thanks this.
  11. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    In trying to figure out if I should buy a trailer I have kept the one I am pulling for about a month so far. I don't think I have missed out on much revenue not doing d/h loads for the most part. If in another month or so it still works well I may take the plunge and see about buying one.
    I have read that trailer sales are up a lot, so the prices might get higher than I want to spend, so that will weigh in on the decision also.
    Hanging onto a company trailer is a good way to test the waters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.