Landstar vs Schneider Choice ( Comparison )

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jar-Head, May 9, 2014.

1. Jar-Head

Jar-Head Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I am considering looking into doing a self dispatch operation for my unit . Not getting my own numbers but working at one of the above for mentioned . Here's what I've thought about and wondering what others think . LS = Landstar
    SNI = Schneider .

1. Both are mandated EOBR

2. Both have decent fuel discount programs

3. LS gives the ability to negotiate rates and or FSG and SNI it is what it is no negotiation .

4. SNI has a larger base of Drop & Hook - hence saving time on a mandated EOBR . Now SNI has live load and off load but the ability to do more D&H is available .

5. LS from what I've seen on reading this board seems to deal with some " Agents" whom copy loads off other load boards etc such as CHR freight and the ability to possibly double book freight in my mind exists as some loads are posted several times .

6. SNI pays a truck ordered not used fee of 150 if load cancels . I think to get that from LS it has to be agreed by the agent you deal with .

7. LS pays upon completion of load and received paper work . SNI I'm told your paid off the Qualcomm Monday cut off Friday pay .

8. Detention - I'm unsure on both but I would figure you'd have that in a agent confirmation at Lanstar per load .

9. LS gives ability to get own trailer and move up to 72% of 100 . SNI does not .

10. Both have minor fixed charges 1.00 here 3.00 there but I'd say LS seems to have more of these charges but they are minor if good rate exists .

11. Both pick your own freight

12. SNI pays tolls on most lanes . LS it's in the rate but really both are included in rate if you look at it objectively .

Any any one else please feel free to chime in . Maybe some good information can be shared here .

BigJon310 and knuckledragger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    Then I also wonder this ..

if a landstar Recruiter tells you there are 27,500 loads on the board . How many are posted 2,3,4, or more times .. So is it really that number .

maybe I'm wrong in saying that but just a thought that comes to my mind is that number true or does it include double and triple posted loads ?

4. Jasonincincy

Jasonincincy Bobtail Member

May 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    First of all Semper Fi

i was a BCO at Landstar and can tell you there are a lot of advantages to working with them. Point #3 unless something has changed in 3 years you CANNOT negotiate rates. There are times you can pinch an agent who is desperate to move a load however.

The trailer leasing opportunity is above average but you pay for all associated costs with that trailer. Build time with them then revisit that program.

My best advice if leasing a trailer, lease a reefer. I have pulled $3.00 loads to Florida only to deadhead to Atlanta for a return load. Stupid? yes. Economical? No. Broke even. Reefer loads typical pay more on that board.

The load board is fascinating, I always stayed away from CHR loads because the C and the H stand for cheap and heavy. Their rates are below average but they do pay on time. An advantage to booking their loads is they almost always have a load going near your house (wherever you live), in case you have to get home and don't want to DH.

Last but not least, find multiple agents and befriend them, do good work, be on time and always communicate with them. This really helps you plan a week or weeks and you could build a solid reputation in LSs network.

JM2C

5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    SNI is of no comparison to LS, Period!

Dave_in_AZ and Shakey52 Thank this.
  6. GearWarrant

GearWarrant Medium Load Member

Mar 20, 2014
    North Vernon, IN
    Can you qualify that statement? Not being smart, but I would like to know and you gave nothing to back up your comment.

7. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    I think they both compare similarly except what I laid out in my OP . The both have strengths and weakness

8. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    I too want to know which is the basis of this post to find the true differences from those who know first hand

9. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    I think this post can bring out some valid differences between the 2 companies . It's not intended to put one down though as far as trashing etc . I'd like it to be subjective so one could make a sound decision on the 2 companies which works best for their operation

10. Jasonincincy

Jasonincincy Bobtail Member

May 17, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    As you know only you can decide that. You're going to get the haters and posters that just want to bash a company with no basis of fact or data. I gave you my experience without ripping on LS. As you may have noticed by my post I no longer work there. Not because of trouble with the company or their procedures, I left because I wanted to move my LLC in a different direction. They were great in helping me realize what it will take to be successful on my own. It took me some time to build a customer base with my own authority but at the end of the day I did it and feel ###### good about it. I also started at a time when freight was at its lowest and the rates were stupid low. Hopefully you get the answers you desire and make a sound decision based on your needs and the needs of your family.

JM2C

11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    sure…….

I have been leased to LS almost 6 years after being leased to SNI for 5….ONLY reason I stayed at SNI so long was I was on a dedicated gig and was home daily. They then got rid of that account and I done choice for almost a year……..

The biggest factor in your decision should be $……I understand the times are different from 4 or 5 years ago but rates from SNI and LS are totally different. SNI has a lot of drop n hook but, the trade off on that is you run at a low rate just to save time without live unloading. Any SNI drivers wiling to compare rates I will do so. Ill post my loads/rates for the past month vs yours. Anyone willing to compare settlements I will do so…….Not bashing SNI, if thats your thing then go right ahead…..Ill just tell you ANY LS bco who was successful will say the same…. SNI you run for miles, I on the other hand don't do that and can't see running 100-120k miles per year..when I can run 60-80k and make much more than someone running 100-125k at SNI….

Dave_in_AZ, Aharon, Toney B and 10 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.