Landstar vs Schneider Choice ( Comparison )

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jar-Head, May 9, 2014.

1. Jar-Head

Jar-Head Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Yeah I think he was on a speciality can with a crane that's correct and driver off load , which with a crane may or may not be a big deal depending on what it is your hauling and the means of secure ment could also be another issue is it Straps , Floor tie down , Chains , Load locks , or Pad wrap the securement measures and time to do so could be another reason of such good rates also but you have to determine if the time is worth the reward .

Secondly - back hauls can you pull a small LTL to pay DH fuel or is it a 50/50 split loaded and empty

who's trailer - yours or landstars

some people love the trade show freight .. Just not my cup of tea even if it's 3.50 to the truck just not my thing

different strokes for different folks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Secondly - back hauls can you pull a small LTL to pay DH fuel or is it a 50/50 split loaded and empty .......

Rates are good enough here and you should never take a load for fuel $.....that's SNI way of thinking!

4. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I'm in a similar situation as Jar-Head. I will have the title on my truck at the end of August and I am starting the process of moving from a dispatch system to a system where I can choose my own loads. I am experienced in van, but have run a couple of reefer loads and spent 2 years pulling a frameless dump.

Once I make the move I will have completed my current business plan and it is time to look at what I want to do over the next 5 years. I am looking at expanding from a single truck to as many as 5. I know that I can run my truck on the Choice board, but additional trucks would have to be on the mileage board. I am also not pleased that SNI won't accept my current DOT physical, nor do I care for the hair testing, but that may be spreading to other companies.

I am also looking for the experiences of drivers from both companies and how their experience would fit with what I am looking at for my future. Frankly LS may be my best option if they allow multiple truck operations. $.92 a mile plus FSC isn't a whole lot to pay a driver and all truck expenses plus leave me with a profit. Hopefully fellow drivers can help with information, otherwise I'll have to dig deeper which I'm sure I will anyway.

5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    cant seem to find if there are any restrictions for hometime with sni choice program

6. bigNATURE

bigNATURE Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Texas city, tx
    I'll post my settlement, but y'all probably wouldn't believe that either SMH! But it's okay, I'm not bashing SNI or nothing but it's all about what makes you happy I suppose. If you want bigger compensation in trucking you have to specialize wether it be oil/step/oversize/trade show/ crane whatever. That's what I like about LSTR there's a lot of interesting gig's here. Would I drive for SNI if something failed at LSTR? Yea I guess I would, but LSTR has been a dream come true. There's people that make more than me, I'm just a young smart hard working fish swimming upstream.

7. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    No need to post settlements ... No need for a Pissing contest from any of us . Let's just share info for the 2 companies and keep the good info flowing

Aharon Thanks this.
  8. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    We can share apple to apples rates etc .. If anyone wants to on specific lanes etc to consider the difference between dealing with brokers ( agents ) at LS verses the simplified way at SNI . Meaning is it worth the hassle is it 0.20 or 0.50 a lane more or is it 0.05 who knows but that's the answers guys are looking for .

For or example here are some areas I'll post to see some rates from LS and SNI

DRY VAN ONLY ..

Origin : To Anywhere ( 100 mile radius DH )

Paducah , Ky

Memphis , TN

Kansas City , Mo

Baltimore , MD

Dallas , TX

9. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    I think what allot of guys want to know is how much can I make on a specific lane or region ..

The unknown is what keeps the asking and wondering hence folks wanting information

10. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    That's going to b kinda of hard rates are constantly changes. Reading your post you might b over thinking this. Every day is different every load is different.

11. Jar-Head

Dec 7, 2013
    Not over thinking curious

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.