Landstar@#@#%^^$#@@!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dhooks, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Im not a leased to landstar but booked a load through them to get back out of texas at a rate cheaper then what I really wanted to start with, 2.50 a mile oversized with me paying permits to charlotte nc, Pickup was supposed to be thurs morning at 8 am, delivery on monday in charlotte which was fine, I needed to restart my week anyway.

Wed my center axle on my trailer had the lift arm break and took out an airchamber, got it patched up enough to run, ended up driving way over my hours that night to get to where I needed to go to do my drops wed so I could load first thing thurs. Well I get the call, oh the load wont be ready till thurs afternoon, and because we called the day before no detention pay. Thurs morning I get the call, well the load will be ready at 1 pm, ok great, show up at 12:30 and its no where close to ready, I leave there at 9 pm that eve with an oversized that I cant run legal even in tx with bc its over 10 ft. Landstar says cool, you get dention from 3 pm till 9.

I explain to the broker that due to getting started a day late, HOS and the weekend, with an oversize it will be monday noon till I can drop in charlotte, all good with no problem.

Fri afternoon I get the call , oh well Tyson decided the crane apt is now going to be tue morning not monday, I said no problem, if Im sitting a day thats going to be 1200 bucks for a lost day, not to mention I already lost a day waiting to get loaded. Of course landstar comes unglued and busts a gut and said Ill probably get 2-300 to sit there a day and wait for the crane.

Long story short Im going to end up with the load on my truck from thurs till tue and they tell me ill probably pick up a cpl hundred extra bucks but there not sure as it depends on what tyson is willing to pay.

Any advice on how to handle this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Don't deal with that agent again.

4. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012

YEa, I meant more in how to jack some money out of the situation.

5. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Say you either get reasonable pay, or that load will come in a way they won't like. Such as knocking it off the trailer, or hold a lean on it. I.E it won't get untied until we settle on detention.

TruckMafk Thanks this.
  6. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Well I tried the, that wont work, I have a load to pick up monday, Ill do the delivery later in the week, but there contract says we are responsible for any missed crane apts etc.

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    just read about the contract clause, so comment deleted...

8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    honestly taking it at 2.50 and you paying permits was the first deal that happened. but with crane appt loads this sometimes happens, many times the crane co gets a 8 hour minimum, or if they start at 12 and dont get finished by 4 they will charge overtime. it all depends on the crane co. a crane can be 250 dollars an hour and up, their clock also starts when they leave their yard and ends when they get back, unless they go to another job

i cant blame the consignee for doing it at 8 on tuesday, and in fact might be less risk for you, but after the load wasnt ready thursday, with curfews and such , the time to have had this squared away was before it was loaded.

i know that doesnt do much to satisfy you, it might be best to take what you can get here, and as someone said dont load for this agent.

i bet under the same circumstances you will do a load like this differently next time, sometimes in the moment we all forget to ask the right questions beforehand.

9. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Yea I think I just going to have to take this one, If I get into a measuring contest with landstar and tyson Im most definately going to be shorter.

My load over was booked around $4 a mile no permit costs so I was ok with the 2.50 coming back, I just wasnt planning to have it on my truck for 6 days. And everything was cool as a cucumber till yesterday afternoon when she called and changed the crane apt, which I hadnt even know was a crane apt when I booked it.

Just a situation that started out just barely ok and steadily progressed worse as it went.

10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    yep, it will be fine. we all get bent over the tanks once in a while

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It just ain't a perfect world out there, right ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.