Landstar??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by "B", Oct 21, 2020.

1. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Screenshot_20201027-151811_Chrome.jpg

D.Tibbitt and Dale thompson Thank this.
  4. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    I been over here since June, I dig it. But this is my first year to O/O. I started off pulling intermodal stuff, I DONT RECCOMEND THIS!!! It’s a #### industry and pay is horrid.

I don’t live in my truck, you do dispatch yourself at LS so your success is directly up to you. Here is how I run and how it works for me. I start Monday morning, always have my week booked a week ahead. Meaning, I start looking for next week starting Thursday sometime Wednesday. I run 1000 miles 1 way, and 1000 back to home. I don’t sweat the RPM as much as my daily revenue. I shoot for the truck to gross 4500 or better in 4 days. I’ve consistently so far, been able to put 2 loads a week together and make this. I’m at home drinking beer by 10am Friday morning nearly every week. This plan usually nets me in my pocket after LS cut, all my expense/fuel, and setting aside 6% for maintenance 1750-1900 a week. It’s not killing it, but I have a real low overhead. People told me LS was too picky, they will hassle you the agents will ## you. I went in with a clear head focused on my success. If you keep your truck in order, meet your deadlines on their requirements and don’t fkn use PC you’ll never hear a word out of LS. So far checks are on time, I’ve even been paid a few times on TONU. For me it works great, I do someday wanna get my own authority.

on the trucks, I see some really nice and some beat to ####. LS makes you inspect everything 120 days, so it may not look real nice but I can assure you most are in compliance. I don’t own a brand new truck and most that look at it might say it’s junk. It’s a 2003 int 9400i, I own it out right and I’ve passed LS 120 day once since I leased on and 2 road sides 1 of which was level 1. I do agree on looking at the fleet and gauging how good the company is though!

5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Thanks for this info.

6. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    We are extremely similar in both operations and background. I too started off in intermodal and it's repulsive.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  7. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    How easy can you leave a lease on contract with l/s or Schneider or who ever?

8. Pittstruck

Pittstruck Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Please enlighten on the intermodal work. I’m considering it......

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Why do you guys go to any of these companies to lease on if you own your own truck? It just makes no sense to me.. Do you guys have any idea how fast 20-25% or whatever they charge adds up and that usually doesn't even cover your insurance and then they nail you for tons of other stuff.

It just boggles my mind why people pay these crazy percentages to companies that really don't do much for you. Why not get your own numbers? It's cheaper.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    Having one's own authority doesn't always equal more revenue. Plus, I think it makes sense to lease on to somewhere like LS to start off. You can learn more about the business like dealing with brokers, paperwork filings, regulatory needs etc etc without taking ALL the risk while making inevitable mistakes. Once you're interstate fluent then step out into the spot market or even to a direct customer or two.

dancecanyon, pullem, bluebob and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020

I did to learn the business. There’s a lot to owning a truck a lot more than just holding the steering wheel. I think after a year or so I’ll be ready for my own #’s or to lease onto someone for a smaller fee

pullem, crocky and User666 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.