LandstarOZR

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by rank, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    In that other thread that got closed, you answered a question I had. Basically you said that if I threatened to hold a load hostage I am put on the list.

That's OK, but what I was really asking was, in LS' eyes, what recourse does the truck have if things go haywire and the delivery is delayed for hours or days or even weeks? Does LS really have the right to keep my truck tied up and offer me whatever money they deem appropriate? Does the truck have no choice but to keep that freight on the trailer until consignee is ready to unload it, or until it clears customs, etc, etc? Does LS think it has the right to make me "honor my contract" by delivering from point A to point B, with no consideration for how long that job should take, and offer me nothing for my time and lost revenue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    No. That's why they have the customer service department. In extenuating circumstances, a smart agent will find a solution like having you drop a load at one of our warehouses and then having a local delivery company deliver it. LS isn't out to screw you anymore than you are them. Common sense and professionalism play huge factors. Sometimes one party doesn't have it, and that can be either side. Sometimes neither party has it and nothing gets solved.

That answer it any better?

Homebrew and passingthru69 Thank this.
  4. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Having been on your side of things Rank I will tell you how things where handled.

First, never forget that the agent is a contractor and can still say no to LS when they try to set things right. I know if this happening once and LS made good on it. No clue what happened to the agent but the VP at LS was less than pleased with them.

In every case that we have had to escalate things to corporate the person on the phone would not connect us with the owner. Corp was always very helpful and we on our end kept things professional. There has never been a load that we escalated to corp that we have not been happy with the results.

apyles and rank Thank this.
  5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    This makes me wonder. It seems that it would be a simple matter for the agent / broker to simply back bill their customer for any delay or irregularity that they caused, and pass that through to the carrier. Why aren't agents doing this?

6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Because you can invoice someone all you want,doesn't mean they will pay it.

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  7. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Exactly! And if you bill them for every little thing that goes wrong you won't have their business for long because they'll find someone who won't. It's a give and take world and you have to find a happy medium and use common sense.

Homebrew and G/MAN Thank this.
  8. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I know brokers that pay detention regardless what customer pays. If it becomes a big problem they drop account or negotiate detention.

I would say that LS has the biggest range of brokers from the stay at home mom to mega agents that could compete with some of the larger independent brokers. And with that also comes a large range of business skills. I know a LS broker that only has email blast loads. Surprised how well she does with most loads being brokered and the level of cut she has to take when others will take $25-$30 on these loads because of the competition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.