Lane routing..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Jun 15, 2021.

1. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Trying to study up on how to run in my area to get as much home time as possible and still make money.

I live in the Waco, Tx area so Austin and San Antonio are south of me. DFW is north and Houston is Southeast of me so pretty much in the middle of some major cities so I think this should not be a problem setting up some routes that get me home more often that is.

I got an account on the dat board and so I'm able to look up loads available in the different areas but can only do one city to one city and a certain radius of said city's. I'm thinking maybe back and forth from Houston to DFW and or a kind of a triangle setup Houston to San Antonio to DFW etc.

Any ideas or pointers on this? Maybe some good brokers that work in my area that would be helpful etc.

I know that these are somewhat short runs and thus may be difficult to make money on them but I "think" that once the lanes are figured out and some broker relationships are built it could be possible.

Anyways just brainstorming again.

I appreciate all you guys helping me out with this venture and even the overly negative responses. They always make me do a little self-reflecting.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    What kind of trailer?

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  4. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Most load boards will give you a list of reloads, or backhauls. when you’re looking for a load and some even do a triangle for you. That area always has freight, shouldn’t be a problem to stay close to home.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  5. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Dry van.

6. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019
    I am flatbed, most load boards have a back haul listing . Look at Northwest Arkansas

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  7. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019
    I just did a load search, over 300 loads with in 150 miles of Waco, All inTexas, good rates, if you aren't staying loaded it's your fault

slow.rider and joseph1853 Thank this.
  8. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    10/4

9. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Tough to say without knowing if you have no overhead such as a mortgage, truck payments etc. If you don’t have this overhead, you are in a great position to maximize your home time. Research your desired lanes and why not run 2 days out and 2 days back working a 4 day work week? You then have 3 day weekends to enjoy your family.

Best of luck to you and I hope you make a killing in your new venture while maximizing home time with your family.

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Consider doing a 4 day cycle? 2 loads a week, 1 out, one back?

Daycab thats not as viable i guess but running up to chicago and back down once a week would be my choice if i were you.

11. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Thank you.

Currently, my monthly home bills altogether come to around $1100. That includes gas and groceries.

Of course, my truck payment and trailer payment will increase that estimate dramatically probably at least $2500.

I've calculated everything out on an excel spreadsheet. I would have to make $2900 a week to cover just the truck and that includes a .15$cpm maintenance account at 2000 miles a week at $3.00 p/g fuel. $3375 for house and truck p/w. $3900 p/w to cover house/truck and what I would make running a company truck in Waco, tx.

Anything over $3900 would be more than what I make working for a company gig that brings home around 1,000 a week. That gig keeps me out 2 to 3 nights a week but home on weekends (leave out Sunday afternoon) I might add but it was nonetheless doable and I would consider doing something along those lines today as I understand how hard it would be to go out and come back all on the same day and still make money even in an area like central texas.

$3900 a week at 2000 miles is $1.95 a mile minimum. I will be using a dispatching service and their numbers to do all the back-office work and negotiating the loads at least at first. They charge 12% for all that. So with that added it means I would need to make roughly $2.20 a mile to bring home $1.95 p/m after their fees.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.