Large carriers vs. small regional

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GyrrwrLori, Feb 19, 2012.

1. GyrrwrLori

GyrrwrLori Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    According to their website, they haul for some big companies. McDonalds, Hershey, Wrigley, Kraft, Nestle, Anheuser-Busch, Sara Lee, Wal-Mart....to name a few. They are a reefer company.

I saw the high percentages too, and was concerned. There are alot of speeding and seat belt tickets on there. Could be the result of having ungoverned trucks or the result of pushing drivers with limited time to make deliveries.

I'd have to say, picking the right company to go with has the be toughest part of this whole process.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Odds are, you'll make 3 bad choices before you even get close to the right one.

We've all been there.

4. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    That's what I am afraid of. :biggrin_25523:

Right now I feel like it comes down to LTI or Roehl, with Schneider a distant third. Gonna talk with the lady from LTI tomorrow. Then I'll try to follow my instincts and choose one by Wednesday or Thursday.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'm with Schneider myself, and I'm happy here. If that's any consolation to you. But I also have the years of experience bumping my pay to an acceptable level.

As best I can tell, their starting pay leaves a lot to be desired for the beginning driver. The majority of folks are understandably looking at the money. So I certainly don't want you to be misled.

GyrrwrLori Thanks this.
  6. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I have chosen to go with LTI Trucking Services. Will be working out the details over the next few days, hoping to start orientation next week or the week after.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Watch the right foot, they got some fast trucks. They passed me in my ws truck (70) so they ccan do 70+

American Trucker

8. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    That's not that fast...hehehe. j/k

I have worked for mostly small carriers under ten trucks small, I've had a couple of places I left because they were terrible and I did the illegal things they asked me to do...

The biggest company I worked for had 50ish trucks and they had the lowest pay and worst equipment of any company I have drove for...but your paycheck was always there and never bounced and they never asked me to run really heavy, long hours, or fast.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  9. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    I work for a small company.. 18 trucks.. we have plenty of freight..good "very good" pay.. they pay us for every thing.. "every" stop, drops, any down time..break down.. I'm home every night.. and gross more in a week.. then most of the mega carriers do in 3 weeks.. might not be 2012 trucks or trailers.. but good.. dont have to run illegal..if you say your out of hours..then your out..no pressure.. trucks will run as fast as you wanna run.. lol.. but dont get a driving award..you wont keep your job very long..

10. GyrrwrLori

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Compared to those examples, I guess they aren't that small at 250 trucks. They are currently replacing their trucks, getting 2012 Freightliners and Volvos. All of the new trucks have Qualcomm. They have also turned all of their trucks down 62 mph. I will be driving midwest regional, home weekends, 0.33 cpm for all miles. They pull only reefers. They only negative is 9 weeks with the trainer, maybe a little long, but it should hopefully give me confidence in the end. Thankfully, my trainer will always be in the jump seat or driving, never in the sleeper. All the dispatchers are former drivers as well. That should be a good thing.

11. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    who ever your happier being miserable with

Treefork and red_eye Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.