Last Ice Road Crossing for 2008

Discussion in 'Truckers' Photo Shack | Art Gallery' started by Wildkat, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Wildkat

Wildkat <strong>Arctic Mistress</strong>

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Don't now if you'll be able to do much with them kamera, they were taken with the camera on my phone, the batteries on my good camera always seem to die at the most in-opportune times!

But I will send you a couple if you pm me your email addy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    I'm so sorry LostnFound I missed your question along the way...so will pass on what I know now.

Depending upon what you want to do & what you wish to haul these are the following carriers you would want to check out:

Linehaul LTL carriers that run Yellowknife & Yukon are: RTL Robinson Enterprises, Byers Transport & Grimshaw, these are all based out of Edmonton. If you decide on this you will have to do LCV...but it's ok you get used to it. :)

Deck Carriers: Continental Cartage

Fuel Haulers: RTL Robinson, ECL (Economy Carriers)

Reefer: Federated Co-op

And if you have your own authority you might want to check with Rene Transport as they are the exclusive carrier for Canadian Tire in the west, & they are often looking for o/o's but you must be independent.

There's not much to it, except that you & your truck must be prepared for the cold & the isolation. There's no truck stops, no cell phone service, you are totally dependent on yourself & the other drivers on the road. Nobody leaves ANYBODY stranded...at anytime of year. Oh, one more thing...invest in a good VHF radio...CB's are non-exhistent up there.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if anymore come to mind will pass it on.

Again, so sorry it took me so long to get back on this.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  4. msnighttrain379x

msnighttrain379x Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Perkasie, PA
    Thanks for the pics!! We watch ice road truckers and my driver teases my about going up there. Not sure which is safer ... ice or idiot 4 wheelers????

5. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Thanks for the reply kat.

For now, I am back running south, but with a small, family-owned operation. They seem pretty good so we'll see how this goes. If I hadn't gone with them I was very likely going to get my own authority, so I'll keep Rene in mind.

I do have a fair amount of northern experience, but it has been quite a few years. I used to haul for ECL and made regular runs to La Crete, High Level, Zama, etc. (that was as far north as ECL hauled back then). I also worked oilfield out of those areas and other resort destinations like Red Earth, Slave Lake and Wabasca, and I'm pretty familiar with Robinson too as they were clients of mine when I was in Yellowknife.

Anyhow, thanks again, and don't forget your northern bug spray...

:smt067

6. jeffers58

jeffers58 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2008
    USA.
    Wildkat is the real thing no doubt, There is an Oil drilling show on tv that really hypes stuff up, I watched it once, I worked in the oilfield for years, things were not like that[ not were I worked anyway] when I was on the rig floor or derrick, we had safety people even back then.

7. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    Do you mean the one that did the one on the rig near Fox Creek, Alberta? If that's the one you are talking about, well that one is not so hyped according to my hubby, he worked on rigs for 20 years & he said it was much like that in his days. It's slowly changing, but still pretty rough.

8. Drive-a-Mack

Drive-a-Mack Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Eugene, OR via Lincoln, NE
    ..yeah, how do u drive on water & ice!?? ..and what's the max weight u can pull under those conditions?

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Hamilton, OH
    I have a question for you Kat, how come all of the pictures were taken from the passenger seat?

Righthand drive trucks?

10. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60
    The ice was still rated for it's max weight 64 metric tons. It's pretty scary.

11. Wildkat

Feb 24, 2008
    Somewhere North of 60

HAHAHAHAH I was wondering how long it would take someone to catch that! I had my daughter with me that trip...she's 27. I normally take all my pictures myself, but that trip I needed BOTH hands on the wheel & my full concentration to what I was doing, so SHE too the pictures.

If you look at ANY of my other pictures they ALL have the LEFT side of my hood in them LOL!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.