Lawmaker introduces common sense hos proposal..

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, Mar 29, 2018.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Really they are not adding any time, or streching an already long 14 hour day to a 17 hour day. Just because the option is there to nap or whatever it is you doesn't mean you have to use it

BigBob410, dunchues, shogun and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    8 hous off duty instead of ten.

Let them truckers roll 10-4.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think this is too little messing around on the margins. This will effectively stop any future attempts to create a "more flexible" means of building your 10 hour break. I can think of numerous other ways that would be more useful and as easy to implement and not affect "safety". If they give us this, they will then decide we need to wait another 15 years before we try something else. If you don't get it done in the next 1.5 years, the window of opportunity will be shut. Strike while the iron is hot.

We need to
    • eliminate the 30 requirement
    • allow all Off Duty or Sleeper breaks that exceed 2 hours count towards a 10 (a 3 and a 7, or 2 5's, etc)
    • Make the 60/7 and 70/8 limits a "carrier option". Some drivers/carriers want/need these limits, some don't. I've been dealing with the 70 almost every day, the last 15+ days and it's frustrating as hell where I work and the way we run. Had to swap a load today because my 70 was going to cause me to come up 5-15 minutes short of mandatory Friday delivery because of only 5:30 coming Friday, instead of 6:00 or more. Stupid for many reasons.
    It all needs to be done at once. These are not significant changes and do not impact "safety", but do make large impacts to improve productivity options. No sense in wasting time with relatively meaningless changes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    dunchues, Airborne and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    All that needs to happen is the Tampax and toilet paper stop.

There will be an outcry such as the world has never seen before " Oh Christ just let them do whatever they want."

Maybe the chemicals for waste water treatment plants as well.
    It's all about stink & scratch gentlemen.

Brettj3876 and Airborne Thank this.
  6. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I like the idea of a three hour nap. It is rediculous that you can't take a three hour nap because it might violate "the 14 hour rule." It's a step in the right direction.

BigBob410, VIDEODROME, Dan.S and 2 others Thank this.
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    This would come in handy when some mega fleet truck is in the median and backing up traffic, so you go take a nap til it clears out. Maybe there’s a broken down truck that can’t get the automatic transmission to go into gear and it’s causing congestion? Take a nap. Incapable of replacing a gladhand seal or a tag light? Call breakdown, and take a 3 hour nap while you wait. I could see it’s usefulness.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Was that you today trying to pass everyone in the pouring down rain?

9. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    You can do all of that now.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Hey if you cant hack working long days then dont the rest of us who were raised to not sit on our butt and twiddle our thumbs all day call 14 hour days a part time job

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I think tucker would prefer a 6 hour work day maximum.

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.