Layoff's at Cummins

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by buddyd157, Nov 25, 2019.

1. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I hate it for the Volvo employees. Too bad Volvo conspired to have glider kits almost outlawed. There are thousands of used up core Volvo boat anchors they could have remaned and put to good use in Factory built VNL Glider Kits. Kept the engine and truck lines moving. I would have been first in line for a 880 Glider. Thanks to PACCAR for the great Glider Kits.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Despite truck capacity dropping off, the published prices on DAT continue to fall in the areas i work. 300 loads available sorted by best price and $2/mile for SE to NE is as high as im seeing. NC to boston for $1300? No thanks.

I think the shippers have downward price momentum on their side. Theres starting to be more parking spaces around lately.

Big_D409 and RubyEagle Thank this.
  4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    When your engines blow up no one buys.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes. They have a few slide kits I'd like to bid on!

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Reading new stories is like playing the children's game of Telephone. It's the editor's version of the reporter's version of conversations he had with several people. Reporters wouldn't notice if they are being told dragons were ice skating on the ceiling.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    What about all the employees they had to hire in the last couple years when trucks were 10 or even 12 months out?
    My guess is there are the temp employees they hired for the spike in sales now being let go?

I remember big news in 2017 paccar was laying off thousands too.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i do not know the work culture at Cummins, maybe they had temp workers, maybe not.

either way, once layoff's start..they almost never end. sooner or later Cummins could be down to what is known as a "skeleton crew", and this could start a back log

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    In 1976 we had a 290 cummins engine that would overheat. Tried all the common solutions to the problem. Finally took the water pump off and found the shaft was spinning in the impeller. Cummins had switched to a plastic (or material like it) impeller and it didn't stay snug on the shaft. I love " new and improved".

Doealex, Tug Toy, whoopNride and 2 others Thank this.
  10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I guess Detroit didnt get the memo on that one .
    Had the same problem on a new 1994 series 60 .

RubyEagle, Tug Toy, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Ford had a habit of costing their timing sets with that nylon (plastic). A few years of hard driving would knock the nylon off the cast iron and the timing would get all sloppy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.