LC Transportation

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by ScooterDawg, Nov 13, 2009.

1. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    The OO pay seems a little low to me, but maybe they have an above average fuel surcharge or pay for tolls or something. Or maybe they just aren't geared toward OO. I do like the idea of longevity raises and including the OO in being eligible for holiday pay. That's a nice touch.

Not busting on your new gig Scooter. Just my 2 cents. They seem like a pretty good deal for company drivers. I looked at their safestat scores and that all looks outstanding. That's the one thing I've found to be true-- a good safestat score almost always equals a good company. There are good companies that have a string of bad luck and get bad safestat scores, but its pretty rare to see a bad company with a good score.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sandman1976

sandman1976 Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    where do u go to find the safestat? usdot.gov?

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    PM it to me. The one I have has an 830 prefix

5. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Actually, I sorta like the ol' boy. The turning radius on the classic is not near as tight as the 387, but the classic is much more stable and has a smoother ride (because of the longer wheelbase).

As faras the inside goes, the 387 is more "modern" but I can put just as much stuff in the classic as I could in the 387.

All in all, I'm happy with it...

The Challenger Thanks this.
  6. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Done... the other one is still there, but it has a message to call the new number

7. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC

Well if anything, that makes me feel even better.

Yeah, I think I got a good thing going on.........

_ton bundle Thanks this.
  8. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Ought to be an interesting night. Sitting in Indy waiting until 4 for my load headed to Chantilly. Talked to another LC driver and he said that the PA Turnpike was not in the best of shape (he came through there last night) but I am hoping they will have it fixed up by the time I get there.

Yeah, the weather isnt near as bad as Iowa and points north, but the wind is whipping up pretty bad and the snow is blowing a good bit. Ahhh, the joys of being a Big Truck Truck Driver.....

Chilly ARF!

_ton bundle Thanks this.
  9. _ton bundle

_ton bundle Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Elevator Bay, Minnesota
    http://safersys.org/

There is a lot of info on there and you have to know how to read it. I'll use Scooter's company LC Transportation Services as an example of what I look for to see if a company is good or bad...

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/SafeStatHistory.asp?ais=&dot=312151&WhichForm=safer

Going from top to bottom of the spread sheet.

1. Number of trucks. LC had 115 tractors in 9/07 and they have 102 tractors now. This means that they are pretty steady as far as number of trucks, and that they are handling the current economy well. If there was a major increase or decrease in the number of trucks, that would be a red flag. Even though you would think that having a large increase in trucks would be a good thing, many times it is not. Over- aggressive expansion can mean that the company does not have the personnel to manage the number of trucks that have. Steady growth is good, but many times booming growth is followed by chaos.

2. Number of drivers. LC had 111 in 9/07 and 99 now. I evaluate this in the same what that I evaluate number of trucks. This number also tells me that LC is a majority solo driving outfit. 99 drivers and 102 tractors. If you don't want to be forced to team, this is the place for you.

3. Driver safety score. This is a grade between 0 and 100. The closer to 0 the better. LC's driver safety score was 53.81 in 9/97 and 39.65 now. So the trend is that LC's drivers are becoming more safe over time. This trend is true for most companies right now as there is less turnover than there was in years past. This means that LC's drivers tend to stay with the company. I'm sure this number will get even lower now that Scooter is driving for them. This score is actually very important because the DOT will start pulling every LC truck over for inspection if the score gets too high. Usually the harassment begins when the score gets over 75.

4. Vehicle safety score. Also a grade between 0 (good) and 100 (bad). LC's score was an amazing 15.97 in 9/07 and is still a very good 35.08 right now. This means that they take very good care of their equipment. This trend in the rise of the vehicle safety score is also true for most companies right now as most everyone is not buying new equipment, but making do with older equipment. Like the driver safety score, when the score is over 75, the DOT harassment begins.

5. Number of reported crashes. This is a rolling total that includes the previous 30 months. LC had 16 accidents in the 30 months prior to 9/07 and 12 in the current 30 month period. So that's an improvement.

6. Driver inspections versus out of service violations (prev. 30 months). In 9/07 there were 215 inspections and 15 oos violations and currently there were 240 inspections and 8 oos violations. That's a good percentage.

7. Vehicle inspections versus oos violations (30 months). In 9/07 there were 107 inspections with 11 oos violations and currently there were 120 inspections with 14 oos violations. Again, both good percentages.

So looking at the info, I can see that LC is committed to safety and maintains their equipment well. They have a stable driver pool and have years of experience managing a 100 driver power pool. They also seem to have the customer base to support that number of drivers.

That's how I would evaluate a company based on the safer info. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    Poobah and gabriel3 Thank this.
  10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    It just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

Well here I am... back in Chantilly. Looking forward to getting that cheesesteak sandwich a little later.

I was able to avoid most of that bad weather that was going through my path overnight, but I was not able to get around that snow in Indy nor was I able to avoid the heavy winds all the way from Indy to DC. Man I'll tell you what.... It was really blowing. And with only 20K in the box, I was definately feeling it.

I was proud of Ol' Otis.... he held the road quite well and we made it through with little problems. I will admit however, there were a few times when we got hit from the side and it was a certain "attention-getter". It gives you a new appreciation for Mother Nature, that's for sure.

But it's a beautiful day in DC. Sunny, and a little breezy....Not sure of the temp yet, but no where near what it was like in Indy.

Have a great day.

Plain old simple ARF!

:?)

_ton bundle Thanks this.
  11. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    Scoots

Yea I was up in ME last night for the white stuff. Little slick as the sun went down but I camped for the night and hit my P/U early 06:00 as opposed to 15:00. Sitting in CT on 95 at the Pilot now waiting for the morning rush to be over at 09:00. Then it's off to Brooklyn and my drop. Don't know where then, maybe south Jersey for a P/U. Keep'em turning brother.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.