Leaking Air When Pressing Brake Pedal

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Pro_LeadFoot_Operator, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Pro_LeadFoot_Operator

Pro_LeadFoot_Operator Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Thank you for your input, I will look into this. Anyway to test the tractor protection valve?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pro_LeadFoot_Operator

Pro_LeadFoot_Operator Bobtail Member

May 29, 2017
    Correct, that is how the system should be. In my situation when I am bobtailing, red valve out and yellow valve in, if I press the brake pedal then air leaks out the blue line also if I pull the trailer brake handle air will Leake out the blue line.

If I am stationary and both red and yellow valves are out , and I press the foot brake pedal then air will come out the blue service line.

If I unplug my cables from my tractor and press the foot brake pedal no air escapes.

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your welcome.

You already did test it. The valve is stuck open.

D.Tibbitt and Jubal Early Times Thank this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017

The response given by the quote below by @Goodysnap would be the answer. I have not read everyone else's response but the gentleman that quoted below me is a full-time mechanic and he knows what these problems are. He is a very valued and trusted member on the site regarding mechanical issues. I would listen to whatever he tells you.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Last time I had an air leak from the exhaust port on the manifold it was the handbrake lever valve. But that was on a euro truck that only has 1 handbrake (not yellow and red)

Usually the exhaust port through the firewall is for when the handbrake valve isn't working properly.

So if your red button is out when driving and you are still getting air through the blue air line, I would be looking at the handbrake valve on the dash to start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.