Learning as Much as I Can!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Joab Rynere, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Joab Rynere

Joab Rynere Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    Hey there folks, I just realized I had been following threads and commenting in subsections, but never bothered to post here.
    I am a 35 year old veteran currently working as a military contractor. I am doing my research on switching careers into some I would enjoy more (I hate being stationary, and my job makes me want to punch kittens in the face). I have a couple years experience as a courier running a 1/2 ton truck, but that rarely required pulling a trailer.
    I am looking into running hotshot, but with the full CDL Class A. However, since I am going to do the full license route, I want to keep my options open and look at least a bit into the full size side of the house as well.
    Any advice or comments you fine folks have, I would be happy to listen too!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you already have your CDL-A and where is your location in Alabama? The neareast town or city so we know the hiring area you live in.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Joab Rynere Thanks this.
  4. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Thank you for your service.
    Wish you the best of luck. I suggest looking into open decks. It's always a challenge and keeps you more active than just a door-slammer......lol

Texas_hwy_287 and Joab Rynere Thank this.
  5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I like my flatbed, that's the route id suggest you go as well, at least then you'll have a leg up when you decide to make the jump to over to hotshot

Joab Rynere and Mudguppy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Full CDL A deals with vehicles combination heavier than 33K all the way to the end of the weight chart if you have the axles for it. Something in order of 200 ton.

Hotshots are actually runts in the heavyweight game of trucking. No offense. They are useful for what they do. You can run some loads for less cost with the hotshots. Unfortunately Arkansas is beginning to slowly but surely crack down on that trend a little bit because people think somehow they can run a pickup truck with a small 5th wheel and bypass all the regulating etc.

This industry has made me want to punch kittens as you say. But it's more of a journey in life, take the good with the bad.

7. Joab Rynere

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I am located in Ozark, Alabama. I do not have my CDL yet, I am hoping to get some good leads for schools here as well.
    Thanks for the responses! I will look into the flatbed open route for sure.
    I know there are a few out there trying to run hotshot while skirting the law. I read in a post somewhere, maybe on here, that legally, the only different in running hotshot is the size of the truck. All the DOT, hours of service, load requirements, CDL and insurance it all applies the same, no special exceptions for the little folks. So I am going into it with that mentality.
    It's another reason I am keeping my mind open when it comes to the big rigs as well.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.cfidrive.com has cdl school in Joplin,MO
    Be careful with hotshot; even the experienced drivers are really struggling because rates are really low. www.OOIDA.com is a business website for the owner-operator.

Joab Rynere Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Celadon has cdl school in Alabama and has flatbed, dry van, refrigerated.
    Titan Transfer has cdl school in Shelbyville,TN and it's dry van. Trucks have APU.

x1Heavy and Joab Rynere Thank this.
  10. Joab Rynere

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I will check those out, thanks @Chinatown Any opinions on the TDI truck school out of Milton Florida? That's fairly close to me as well, but I haven't dug too deeply into it yet.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TDI is good. Several drivers that used to post on here attended that school.
    I recall one of them hired on with CTL Transportation at graduation. I think another one went with Trimac Transportation at the Pensacola terminal.

Joab Rynere Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.