Learning shifting on a truck - any advice?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RDirr07, Jul 18, 2012.

1. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    short version is we get those in the stream ~ teacher is supposed to be able to work that & why poster is asking sorta seems to me to be the same "jitters" all of us knew one time & place or another ~ but I will clarify for you that I have some 20 to 50 incidents of going Cyanotic arguing with ( usually younger but not always ) those who are not trying to not willing, or capable, of making informed decisions based on what people in the real world tell them ~ at "the big companies" they tell you once and if you dont get it they get somebody else

except for the usual we are all familiar with - except the only way to get a Mustang shifted without the clutch is to grind every other of the teeth off the synchronizer ~ somebody explain to OP that 5x4's do not have any synchro rings

there is a video on you tube How to shift a Spicer 16 speed but OP will probably just have to get some Starbucks and run tenth of a mile and work off the jitters

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShallowDOF

ShallowDOF Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Kenmore, WA
    Mine still had all it's teeth when I sold it last week :biggrin_25525:

4. NewbieRick

NewbieRick Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Pacific, mo
    What is idle shift? Just Curious.. Never heard the term.

5. Ranger70

Ranger70 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Joliet Il
    Wow!!! That is all I can say.

6. Trucker_Matt

Trucker_Matt Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    i can easily and honestly respect that. just like you said, the way you say it.. kinda makes you sound like your being an ####### but i understand where you're coming from. and half the time im relaying what i was told/taught. right or wrong its all i know so we may clash opinions, but atleast now i know you're the go-to guy for any serious advice. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  7. Trucker_Matt

Trucker_Matt Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    yes niteshay please elaborate

8. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had never touched a manual transmission prior to attending trucking school. They will show you step by step, you have nothing to worry about.

9. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    That is a load of garbage and by far the worst advice anyone has offered on this forum. I had never laid my hands on a manual transmission prior to school and I came out stronger than most who had cars with manual transmission. Maybe it helps a bit, but not knowing how to do it prior does not disable a student in anyway shape or form.

10. front door

front door Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    dont know how to drive a manual either but pretty sure they will teach me in school.not worried at all and u shouldnt all these drivers have all this advice and their mr. Knowitalls but they had to learn to. Have confidence in your self and dont let them get you down or nervous.

11. front door

front door Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    dont know how to drive a manual either but pretty sure they will teach me in school.not worried at all and u shouldnt all these drivers have all this advice and their mr. Knowitalls but they had to learn to. Have confidence in your self and dont let them get you down or nervous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.