Lease, new or used ?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by ghostzapper, Jun 24, 2018.

1. ghostzapper

ghostzapper Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Going to Prime, after some research lease is the direction for me. Which is the better option new or used truck .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Don’t do it!

Rollr4872 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    If you’re going to do it, definitely get a new truck. You’ll save some money on payments if you get a used truck, but you’ll spend a lot more on repairs driving a used truck that may not have been properly cared for. Once you sign the lease you’re stuck with it, whether it runs well or not.

Keep in mind that as a Lease Operator at Prime you’re still under forced dispatch. It doesn’t really matter how good of a driver you are, your income is determined by how good or bad your dispatcher is. Good luck.

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Holy crap , forced dispatch as a l/o.

6. 389driver

389driver Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Definitely do it, Prime needs the money

7. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but yes... when I was at Prime the L/O’s were dispatched exactly like the company drivers. You have zero control over your income. Pretty scary with such a big lease payment

8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yeah no kidding.

9. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    @ghostzapper how much driving experience do you have? If you told us what your thoughts were on L/O vs. company driver and what your long term goals are then maybe someone here could help you make sure you’re on the right path.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    That's news to me. When were you there as a lease op?

Yes you have a dispatcher that sends you a load one you're empty but you're not forced to take it. You can say no and wait for the next offer.

Obviously there is a little more to it then just saying no. Give them a business reason as to why it doesn't work for your business, but that's neither here nor there for this thread.

To the OP, new or used at prime isn't much of a difference. You're talking about a truck that is either used between a month or 32 months. They are all under full warranty as well. Before you pick a used one read through the maintenance history and see how well it was taken care of or if it was a problem child.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  11. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    I left Prime almost 5 years ago. Yes, technically you can refuse a load. If you do that though there’s no guarantee you’ll get another load sent to you right away and there’s no telling how long you may have to wait. You’ll never see a load board and rarely be given a choice between multiple loads. It’s almost no different than being a company driver as far as dispatch is concerned.

To be clear, I did very well at Prime for awhile because I had a great dispatcher. I know other drivers though who were chewed up and spit out of the lease program because they drew the short straw on primary dispatchers. Most night and weekend guys were a joke and completely useless.

Maybe things are different now, but in my opinion your success at Prime depends mostly on if you hit the dispatcher lottery or not.

Beaupie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.