Lease/purchase....How do they do it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MNdriver, Apr 7, 2012.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Just because you get freight from a broker doesn't necessarily mean that you are not getting good rates. There are some brokers who get their freight from other brokers or 3pl's. Those rates do tend to be lower than those who have direct freight. Over the years I have actually gotten some good rates from brokers. I have also been offered cheap rates from some. Just because you go direct doesn't always mean that you will get better rates. I have done both. I have also had shippers try to pay me less than I have been offered by the broker who handles their account.

There is a cost to dealing with shippers direct. You will need to spend time cultivating the relationship and making sales calls. Either you pay someone to make those calls, do it yourself or deal with brokers. You should be able to get better rates going direct to the shipper, but that doesn't always happen. You still need to be a good negotiator to get decent rates. You may also need to wait for your money when you deal direct. Most of the larger brokers have some sort of quick pay program where you can get your money turned around within a couple of days. That can be important to many, especially with the current economy and high fuel prices.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigKid2

BigKid2 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Indiana
    That was the total for the year in taxes including quarterlies. After my per diem and all expenses and deductions I cleared $53,000. If your accountant can make it where you aren't paying taxes then you aren't really making money.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    then that is not the way that you presented it.

I understood it you had to PAY $15,000 combined at end of year for taxes above your quarterlies.

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Power only? Where do you get your info?

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    They have totaly screwed up military loads, every transportation officer in the country hates them.

G/MAN Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.