Lease Purchase

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by MIKE1972, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Please listen to what's being said. Have you ever had a problem with a dispatcher and he decided to run you in some way that either starved you out or drove you out of your mind?

Just imagine that with that $1,000 a week payment. It's not like being an owner operator that you can just go lease on to somebody else. You are tied to them and it's in their interest for you to fail.

I would never advise anyone to buy a cheap truck because the problems you will have will probably put you into The in to the poor House. But I would much rather tell you to go buy a cheap truck and lease on to someone than to get bent over like that with the lease purchase. You have a much better shot of making it if you buy the cheap truck and go lease on to somebody.

Everyone here is trying to help you. Do your research. You said if there were not good companies no drivers would be doing it. No offense, but the drivers do it because they don't know any better and they don't want to listen when people tell them not to. They do a lease purchase for the same reason they go buy a brand new truck, have colossal payments, haul cheap Freight without knowing what it cost them to run, and one day wake up broke.

I wish you the best of luck but remember... knowledge is power. Ignorance is bliss.

4. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    People fail at all kinds of things in life for all kinds of reasons but the weak and entitled always blame someone else. Thing is these other drivers saying a lot of L/P drivers fail is like saying drug usage is higher in the ghetto.

L/P drivers aren't exactly the cream of the crop. They're usually newer drivers who can't quality for a bank loan because of a lack of experience, poor credit, and/or a lack of capital. Many of them are still learning to drive, have zero experience running a business, and are trying to rush things and take the first steps towards becoming an O/O too soon. Many L/P drivers lack the experience to fall back on to guide them towards the best results. Some are in unrelated debt they entered the industry with. Far too many lack the financial discipline necessary to run a successful business.

Making irresponsible business decisions is far more common amongst these folks than is elsewhere. I spoke to one last week who had a choice between equipment known to be more reliable and cost efficient and nicer looking equipment. At a time when his business is just getting off the ground and needs financial stability now more than ever he failed to put his business above his personal desires and choose irresponsibly. Now 6 months later mechanical issues with his truck are about to put him out of business.

Some of these folks don't even put the work involved to reading what they signed. I spoke to one this week who didn't even understand crucial information like his warranty simply because he didn't take the time to read it. I'm not sure if he's looking for a carrier to be his business partner or a motherly figure who will read to him.

L/P drivers are also more likely than an actual O/O to lack the will drive and perseverance to pull themselves though hard times of course it's easier give up and quit when you didn't put that much effort into getting into the L/P in the first place. Not to mention that truck driving is a common profession for those who lack education such as a High School Diploma or general financial and business knowledge. Typically folks lack a H.S. Diploma because they have demonstrated past history that they have issues completing projects which require discipline and self application. Point being I'm just not that surprised that L/P drivers have the highest failure rates it actually makes alot of sense.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Actually, it more like saying, if you live in the ghetto, you are a drug addict.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Do you have a year with a clean record?

7. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    There are companies out there if you have $5,000.00 as a down payment, and decent credit score. You can get in a truck of your own, and than do research for a good company to lease onto.

jsnell and uncleal13 Thank this.
  8. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Wut.

9. Skinny P

Skinny P Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    L/Ps require 3 things:
    1) Discipline
    2) Attention to detail
    3) Perseverance

Most L/Ps fail because they are really company drivers that had a dream that they could own 50 trucks someday and hire drivers, thinking that they can be the man and make big bucks off someone else's back. And they fail to realize simple things like you can't fill your tanks on the last day of settlement or that you can't take $1000 dollars in cash advances and have a huge settlement. I have even seen them take two weeks off with no reserves and then wonder why they are in the hole. So, if you can just pay attention to details and track, track, and track every dime you will be okay.

Now, getting off my soap box, here are a couple L/P programs that I think may work.

1) Warren Transport - they have the highest pay I have seen
    2) USA Truck - They have third party lease and pick your own freight
    3) Riverside Transport - They have variable lease payment and some of the newest trucks
    4) John Christner Trucking (JCT) - They pay for everything leaving you with just truck payment, fuel, and maintenance and their average length of haul is 1300 miles

These are just 4 companies that I think offer the best advantage to someone looking to L/P. Just keep in mind that if you aren't ready to stay out 3+ weeks none of these programs will get you where you want to go. Because I always say the hardest working man in any company is the owner.

I hope this helps.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    You can fill your tanks any time you want, it’s just a matter of cash flow.
    If I buy it now, or later. I still have to buy it.

11. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Another one about to bite the dust.
    It never ends.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.