Lease Questions, please don't attack

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by TruckerWifeBoogie, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    “Unless you stay out 3 weeks”
    This statement is what sticks out the most to me in your entire post.

I translate that to meaning you’re not into being out that long. If that’s correct a lease isn’t for you. The payments on the truck aren’t going to stop while you’re at home. If you’re both willing to sacrifice and stay out months at a time, sure, the right lease situation could pan out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerWifeBoogie

TruckerWifeBoogie Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kansas City Missouri
    Thank you for the information! Am I understanding that you guys were responsible for truck maintenance? Did that ever become a problem with high end repairs? As long as you get a good truck that wouldn't be an issue but we def want maintenance covered because we've seen people with brand new trucks replacing things that were just basically lemon parts.

4. TruckerWifeBoogie

Nov 4, 2021
    Kansas City Missouri

I understand what you mean. It sucks that there's so much bad information out there and that so many people that all could work together want to lie to their employees or potential employees, recruiters want to lie to people and make up what you want to hear, people in different divisions and trucks want to dog on the others. It's just sad. Trucking is what the company runs on and everyone involved seems to be against each other in some way. I know it's not 100% and there are people wanting to help, it just sucks that's the majority. You gotta dig so deep to find real info and a real company offering real numbers that you barely have the time to even try to dig that deep before needing to make a move. Thank you! I hope we can find something good.

5. TruckerWifeBoogie

Nov 4, 2021
    Kansas City Missouri

Again.....that is not true. There are more options out there than people realize. How about one I found today that says when you take time off you don't make a payment??? That's not a podiddly company either, it's a very large well known company. They also guarantee no upside down checks and atleast $2000 take home if you work and we aren't afriad to put the work in. Your "translation" is very incorrect. We have stayed out for weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, and months at a time and it wasn't a sacrifice, it's our way of life. We like to stay out and have plenty experience doing it. You do not have to stay out months at a time to make the money. There's home daily jobs offering almost 300 a day for simple dry van and there's OTR three weeks out jobs offering $1200 a week. How about the jobs offering $1500 a week home on the weekends?? There's plenty of OTR, regional, and dedicated that you don't have to stay out many weeks and months to make money. That has nothing to do with anything I'm asking, what we desire our hometime to be is already calculated in to our searches and has nothing to do with what I'm asking about leases . We can stay out as long as we want but if your staying out and not making the extra money then there is no point. You obviously haven't seen all the options and don't really seem to have any info to help with our inquiry only making assumptions. I'm sorry you mis interpreted my entire post.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Amen! Preach it, brother.

8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I have no direct advice. For my situation, remaining a company driver is my best option. So, after exploring the lease or purchase options available, I decided to stay as I am. But, I also realize my specific situation is not everybody's and for some going the lease route is a viable option.
    I know of several drivers who made lease stuff work well for them. One trait they all seemed to have in common was a good sense of business acumen and they worked accordingly. Many who seem to fail had unrealistic expectations, lack of business savvy and expected it would all just magically fall into place and they'd be making big bucks. They believed the pipe dream they were sold, hook, line and sinker. The reality I believe is quite different from what companies try to sell you. But, as mentioned many do make it work for them.
    I just wish you luck and safe travels. If I had any recommendation, I recommend you consider getting your CDL also. Even if you do things as a lightweight driver and let your hubby handles the bulk of things, if you had a CDL it could potentially give you more options than currently and could be quite beneficial to your endeavors.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    There is more to a lease than just bringing home more money!!! Take it from someone that has been SUCCESSFUL with it... you need to READ the frickin contract... there is not a lease in the world that is set up to your advantage, even the one I did... the company covers their ### more ways than one and if it's a walk away lease then you are going to get burned somewhere....

The problem with most lease purchase is you are essential paying for a job and running a business that you have NO control over ! Why would you start a business and then have no control over the amount of revenue you make, because you are tied to a dispatcher??? That defeats the whole purpose of starting a business... what happens when u piss off that dispatcher and they cut your loads? That does happen, it happens all the time... they have all the control over your revenue and yet you take all the risk while the company collects those payments week after week...

The absolute only lease purchase that anybody can be successful with is one where you have full control over what freight you are hauling and who you are working with... running your business with your full control and just using the trucking company to pay off a truck... in the long run it is still a better option to go out on your own and buy a rig yourself and then lease on to someone... but the right lease purchase is a great way to learn the business and not take 100% of the perceived risk of owning the truck if you fail! But like I said you need 100% of the absolute control over your revenue ! Not anything less... go research and find those companies, they are not heavily advertised, and you will have to talk to some driver to find out about it... good luck!

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Rule number 1 in business . DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY!!!

Rule number 2. - NEVER FORGET RULE NUMBER 1

Of course companies advertise b.s. like that all the time, that's how they get you in the door ! Do you not understand how a company makes money off a lease purchase ? They make a #### TON !

You need to READ THE CONTRACT. Better yet if you are interested in a certain companies lease purchase program Send me their copy of a contract and I will show you the 100's of ways they will break it off in your ### while they smile right in your face and tell you to pay up!

11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    A little more subtle ... yes L/Os are more profitable. But not because the company is making or saving money on L/Os.

L/Os will typically run 30-40% more miles than a company driver. As group company drivers are pretty inefficient.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.