Lease without Purchase?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Nov 24, 2013.

1. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    To be honest, I don't really have any interest at all in purchasing a truck via a lease-op program. I just think I might make better money on the Lease Operator route than I am making as a company driver. The simple reason is because I run a lot of miles. I burn out my 70 pretty much every week, with most of it being driving hours on the road. I think I could clear my fixed costs, and be making bank most of the weeks I run, and I'd have more operational say in how I do things than I have now.

However, I doubt I'd want the truck anymore after I'd been hard running it for 3 or 4 years. I'd rather just pass that problem on to someone else, especially if it can lower my monthly payments. Also I want to be able to walk away from it after not more than a couple of years, when I've made enough money to reasonably buy myself a truck I actually own (preferably an older, mechanical one that I never try to run in California.)

So who offers lease and not purchase? Does anyone offer this, and also let you pick your loads off of a load board? If I can meet those two criteria, and (hopefully) get freight going to Oregon sometimes, I think I'll be set up well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    I think most companies offer a lease with the option to buy at the end which you don't have to do.So just run the length of the lease and either lease another and keep going.I could be wrong as i have never leased so not 100% sure

4. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    Not that my company is a shining example of a lease, but we are under no obligation to purchase the truck at the end of the lease. Plenty of guys finish a 6 mnth lease, collect the bonus, and resign another 6 month lease.

Jarhed1964 and LifesAdrive Thank this.
  5. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I've never seen a lease where they require you to purchase the truck. One of our drivers went through four of them, and I doubt he purchased any of them.

6. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Well? guess you got it all figured out, Good luck

7. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    What company is this? I'd love to do just a 6 mo lease.

8. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    rhymes with transam

9. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Of course I don,t have it all figured out, but a person has got to have at least a basic plan.

10. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Most companies don't have leases that make sense to purchase at the end (looking at newer trucks). The buy-out is typically higher than that what you could find the same truck for.

And with what you are planning you don't want to do an older truck with lower payment. You will have to put money into an older truck. And that is fine and part of the program but only if you are going to be keeping the truck.

If you are looking at this from a money prospective I would look to a training company and become a trainer. But make sure you are with a company that does mostly teams.

11. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    That makes sense. For a lease, go new, so there's a warranty (and hopefully it will actually pay out sometimes). To own, I'd want to go old, because the emissions trucks just seem to wear out too fast.

Besides a newer truck likely get better mpg.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.