Leasing and DEF Systems

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BlindMan, Apr 7, 2021.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    No I meant net in the context of after the carrier's cut, since a lot of folks think of the full amount before the cut as being gross.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlindMan

BlindMan Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2019
    I've definitely seen their trucks around. Hard to miss those trailers

slow.rider Thanks this.
  4. BlindMan

BlindMan Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2019
    I'd be bringing my own truck. I don't really like the idea of paying someone weekly to use their truck and I feel like I'd just be a glorified company driver. And it's always concerning when they try to lock you in without showing you what you'll actually be paid

slow.rider Thanks this.
  5. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Yeah so you'd want to look into Mercer, USA Truck, JB Hunt, and Landstar for starters. Then start looking at some smaller ones if those don't fit the bill.

BlindMan Thanks this.
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Who cares about resale? Unless your in it to buy and sell trucks "resale" means nothing.
    Buy a truck that...
    1. Is new and has TONS of warranty, rinse and repeat every 4 years.
    2. DONT buy a used 2008- 13 truck at all
    3. 2004-7 Still have emissions crap. EGR- ACCERT. While not as bothersome, price a turbo for a 2007 series 60 and a 2000 series 60.
    4. GLIDER. old cat or 60series. I prefer the 60series, parts are cheaper.
    Freightliner.. parts are cheaper and EASIER to find. This will keep your down time to a minimum. Downtime is the real killer..
    I have owned 5 trucks,
    First used, Freightliner, then a new 2010 freightliner (big mistake) then a used 07 PETE WITH A CAT. Good truck but Parts were expensive, the c15 was THIRSTY, and you wait to get service.
    Then a 13 Volvo 780. Had it 4 years but sold it before the warranty wore off and the headaches started.
    Now... 2012 Freightliner Columbia GLIDER. with a 60series. Most RELIABLE truck I've had yet. Parts are everywhere, it gets great fuel mileage, ANYBODY can and will service it. It's a moneymaker as my accountant says. Yes it's a columbia, no I dont LOVE the truck, but I love my bank account, and the toys it buys me.
    My .02c.
    If your buying used, find a good mechanic that will go look with you, yes you will pay him. If he says yes, THEN. Oil sample, diff and transmission samples, a dyno run if your pockets are deep enough.
    Good luck!

slow.rider and BlindMan Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I definitely would recommend people look at smaller companies. It’s actually unfortunate that these mega companies have such a monopoly on owner ops. I know a company that pays 1.80 per hub mile. Also pays liability, cargo, trailer, IFTA, tolls, ELD, etc. Hard to beat IMO.

8. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Yup place.im with has 20 trucks, pays 89% of loads that you are told the value of upfront, gives access to company insurance for vehicles and trailer which is far far cheaper then holding my own, pays ifta, tolls, ELD and has a full service shop at a very resonable rate. Also has a good tire and fuel discount program.

9. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I don't doubt that those are good companies, but the percentage isn't everything. I'll take 65% of $5 over 85% of $2 any day.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    BlindMan and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.