leasing to landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by bameyi, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bedrock2150

bedrock2150 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2014
    Texas
    Most people who don't understand how simple math works cant figure out what there cost per mile is. So 35% is not bad to them. I think 35% is way to much to push some papers around, and I understand some drivers just don't have the knowledge or resources to get out of it. Once your in it and trying to keep up with breakdowns and your bills,working harder is the only way to survive.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You know, I'm working so hard averaging 1.80 a mile all miles AFTER Landstar cut. So hard running less than 2000 miles a week still clearing 2K. It's so so hard.

You guys kill me with this "35%" is too much. Because all of Landstar loads are $2 a mile resulting in only getting $1.35 mile. It just that simple smh. Because of Landstar don't have freight paying $2.75, $3, & $4.00 a mile. Nope not at all. We just as stupid as those guys running for $1.26 a mile including fuel surcharge. Yup.

Dewey120 Thanks this.
  4. bedrock2150

May 10, 2014
    Texas
    Do the math driver and you will see the big picture. Let say you are netting all miles at $1.80 which I know for a fact your not,but i am going to play dumb and believe you. At 2000 Miles that is $3600,so let say your truck gets 6mpg or better at a fuel discount price of $3.60 that is 333 gallons at a price of $1198.80 which leaves you with $2402.00 this does not include food oil changed maintenance. I think the big checks coming in are blinding you to the real reality and if you don't have good credit or a large maintenance account your are one big breakdown from going under. Do the math if you add all your expenses your $1.80 will be more like .36-.47cpm.

5. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    So... I usually don't do this as I really don't have to prove anything to anybody but, I'll make an exception.

Let's look at the week I had below a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]

You're more than welcome to go back over my numbers since you're such a MATH GUY, but that right there is from Thursday to Thursday with the weekend at home in Richmond, VA. That was 2300 miles that Netted before deductions I took out for Fuel & Fuel Additives at 4874.96 that came out to 2.11 ALL MILES AFTER LANDSTAR 65% (Yes even after that HUGE 35% cut).

Now since your such a math guy and I know you want to be picky, look at the settlement after the deductions and that's still $1.37 a mile, NET! Now I pay myself $0.40, so that leaves $0.97 a mile to the NET, and that also includes the FOOD you so wanted to include into the cost of doing business.

I tell you what you figure out where the rest of the $0.97 a mile goes, I'm so tired from running so hard. And if it helps, my truck payment is $1,119 a month

So is that still a fact I'm not making $1.80 a mile all miles for the year?? And for the record I'm lazy, that one of my harder working weeks..... You do that math up for me champ and I'll check back in later.

6. bedrock2150

May 10, 2014
    Texas
    No dates on there. Not a math guy just a guy who knows how to use spread sheets and sofware.Never said you were not making any money but you are doing no better then a company driver.No problem with that because some of us need the freedom out here. Get yourself a program called truckbooks accounting and run your numbers. The more drivers get educated out here the better it is for everybody.

7. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    But yeah you kinda said this

So now I've just basically made you eat your crow and it's a whole different story.

8. bedrock2150

May 10, 2014
    Texas
    Not trying to make you look bad driver,just trying to educate drivers to the real facts of these large O/O carriers who claim you can make so much money. Based on your settlement that is 2 weeks of trips you turned in. I stand by my calculations you are doing no better then a company driver. There is no problem with that if you are happy with .36-.47cpm. If you don't want to see the reality of it maybe another driver will see this thread and understand. The more drivers we educate about this the better it will get for everyone. So next time you get your $2000 check you might want to look a little closer at it.It is smaller then you think.

9. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    2 weeks worth of trips now huh?? Smh... Have Good Day Sir

10. bedrock2150

May 10, 2014
    Texas
  11. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    it is funny that someone would want to tell you that you are not making any money

dogcatcher Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.