Leasing to Me.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cluck Cluck, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    I have a friend of mine that thinks he might want to lease his truck to me, I have my own authority and all the business, What kind of things to O/O want out of a company they're leasing to, I pull hoppers which he would pull a hopper as well, and what kind of Things do I need to do

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Off of the top of my head, because I've never done anything like that, one thing I could think of from your end would be CSA 2010.

Remember that any points he would earn running your numbers would count against the carrier.....YOU.

I'd make sure he's running good equipment and is not going to be someone that racks up violation after violation while driving. I doubt you want to have an "intervention" from the FMCSA.

4. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    lol No sir, He's a friend of mine who used to own trucks before but his drivers were pre paying 500 dollars in fuel and pumping 400, And I guess its just the risk I have to take to move up in this business, I'll get pushed out of the hopper world

5. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    You need to put together a driver file, enroll him in your random drug testing program, You will need to put together a lease contract for you both to sign. Spells out things like how he is going to get paid and when, what will be provided with or without charges, insurance requirements like who is to pay deductibles for accidents and such. Escrow information requirements. List goes on. OOIDA has lease contracts you can download to use as examples, but I suggest you read them and correct areas according to your operation and desires.

You are absolutely right about taking risks to move up in this business.

6. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    Ok, This is alot of help, I cant be a scaredy cat forever

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.