Leasing with your own authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GFTLLC, Mar 24, 2021.

1. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Currently running my own truck under my own authority. Just kicking around the idea of expanding. Wondering if anyone has run their own authority and purchased a second truck and just leased it on with another carrier that would dispatch and keep a driver busy. Also curious about legalities around doing something like this. Just wondering if the benefits of fleet insurance rates and some of the discounts on parts and maintenance would be worth it. I checked for this question and didn't find it so if it's posted elsewhere please point me in that direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
  4. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    You can find dispatch companies. All they do is dispatch, you don't lease to them.

GFTLLC Thanks this.
  5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    There's a guy on YouTube with a fleet leased to Landstar who is doing the opposite. He's keeping the current fleet at Landstar but starting his own authority too. I suspect his notion is to move all the trucks to his own authority eventually, but for now he's talking two separate fleets. His YouTube name is Calvin Leak.

6. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    When you lease to a company you use thier numbers. Thats easier on your insurance so I've been told.
    But I'm not a o/o. very interested in this question thou.

GFTLLC Thanks this.
  7. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania

That's what I was chasing so to speak. It's been a few years so my insurance isn't hateful but I can't beat a fleet rate I'm sure. I have my own numbers and know what it takes to keep up on one truck so I was wondering if the trade off in percentage loss vs fleet rate insurance and other discounts that some offer is worth it. I know some swear by going it alone for the largest margin and others would rather let the dot issues be someone else's problem as far as the paperwork goes. Just figured this is where the pros are so I'd better speak with more experienced minds. Thanks again everyone for the input.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    It all depends who you lease on with......

70% of $4 a mile is better than 100% of $2 a mile.....

just gotta make sure they have the work and the rates....

9. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    @GFTLLC thanks for your response. It was pretty good. I think others with more experience would be able to help from here. Saftey first and stay green!!

GFTLLC Thanks this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Not sure why you would ever lease on a 2nd truck to another company when you have your own authority. What are you paying for insurance currently?

I feel like your just a little scared to take the next step. Understandable but just do it. Having a driver for the truck is the hardest part so that’s nothing to do with who the truck runs under.

feldsforever, Deere hunter and GFTLLC Thank this.
  11. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Insurance was 3500 last year so like I said it's not terrible. As far as scared goes....no doubt. The other reason would be because the entire time I've been driving I've been doing the same thing. I don't have experience with running certain lanes or chasing loads on load boards. I want to put the truck on something other than what I'm doing because there is better money out there. I don't do bad but I'm willing to give a little to be home every night. Running under the local exemption is what I'm doing now and there isn't time for me to be stopping all day to chase other loads. I guess I was just looking for the easy way out so to speak. I'll have to do a little homework in the area and see if there are a few places that I could put the truck on under my authority and they would still keep it moving regularly. I just don't want to go for it and get myself caught up because I didn't ask a few questions to people that have been there and done it. 100% agree on the driver thing. Is there any place that guys guys are finding decent ones? Kinda feel like the good ones are employed and taken good care of.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.