Leave Swift after CDL training

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Buckeye 'bedder, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Cjh_army

Cjh_army Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Hamilton, Montana
    Knight pays better. I've talked to three guys in the last week who started at 33cpm, and average 3k in mileage a week.

Swift will tell you to get 2500 miles a week minimum.

My fleet at my terminal is the 2nd most productive at the terminal with an average of 1900 miles last month.

If I go near Lancaster or Denver, I know I'm screwed on mileage. Lancaster likes to give 50-125 mile loads, and Denver is always short on freight. And with the new HOS rules, I got hired by a different company at 34cpm. (No, not night, a smaller company near home.)

i will not deal with 168 hours between 34s for slave wages.

Swift has treated me well, but it's on to different things. One week left.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I havent had issues with Lancaster or Denver, I usually get a load right out fairly quick, last time in Lancaster a couple weeks ago they gave me a short run that was 25 miles but stacked a load going to California directly after.

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Well I would expect someone hired on at Knight would get at least .33, as they only hire experienced drivers ... 3000 miles per week, I've averaged that for 2 years now ... Miles aren't given to you. You have to know how to get them ... experienced drivers would know how to do that.

5. Cjh_army

Jan 9, 2013
    Hamilton, Montana
    Well considering I'm 100% on time, run tight PTA's, don't turn down loads, have hazmat, and fast pass, I'm happy for ya.

I just won't work for swifts wages anymore. Nothing against it, but if I'm going to work this hard, I'm going to get paid for it.

6. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    the biggest factor is that you cannot be lazy, you have to run, get loads done sooner, manage your hours, if a load says it delivers at 2300 see if you can deliver at 1600 and get another load etc. Whenever im without a load I pester my DL and he contacts the planners and usually gets me something quickly. I also offer to help the planners on local stuff needing done and ask to just back it up with something decent. Doesnt always work in my favor but I never just sit around and my bills are paid even with my little $0.25 a mile I get right now. This is the first time I decided to sit around and thats just since my truck AC needs fixed and im looking at safety instead of getting another run in.

7. Cjh_army

Jan 9, 2013
    Hamilton, Montana
    My dls pretty good at working with that. I deliver early, and he sets up tcalls When he can if its a live unload. Like I said, I have no real problem with swift, I just never intended on staying forever. I am in it to work and get paid. Swift was a stepping stone, and did very well by me. But in the end, I'm in it for the money.

8. Cjh_army

Jan 9, 2013
    Hamilton, Montana
    I stay out for 6 weeks too, just so I can get enough good checks before I hit the house.

9. Wolfyinc

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I will be staying out 6 weeks this time around, my wedding anniversary is at the end of August so I want to save a few hundred bucks and take 5 days off and take my wife somewhere, shes been wanting to go to the beach real bad

10. e0013560

e0013560 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    xxxxxxxxx2

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    But how much money will you owe Swift ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.