Leaving for Orientation 10-13-12 in Tulsa,Ok

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Azcannon, Oct 13, 2012.

1. wyndup

wyndup Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    Don't get me wrong Orientation was very good I thought. Charles was awesome and every one I met were great pol and I learned a lot. Just thought securement could have been covered a little more. But they repeated that what they showed us was the basics. And common since.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Azcannon

Azcannon Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    so here are the last 3 weeks

2900 2 tarped loads easy loads ,fun drive phoenix to alberquerque,dh to el paso , el paso to jersey state
    3280 2 tarped loads more easy loads south Jersey to Laredo , Laredo to minnesota
    this week will be 1800 2 much harder tarped loads DH to Chicago , chicago to ok city , then ok city to Denver.
    There is nothing I could have done about any of the miles any week , I wasn't late and I havent changed an appointment for a pickup or drop off in as long as I can remember , I spend a lot of nights at shippers and recievers to be able to have a much longer clock when I start out and I drive pretty dirty some days and don't get a shower in til the very end of my hours to get the most miles I can . I have 3 very good melton buddies and only 1 guy even comes close to my miles and its not a better driver worse driver thing , its luck which loads you get and where they go. As a matter of fact 2 of the 3 guys are better secures than me in experience and practice and the other guy I have never seen a thing on his laods I would have redone. So its very hard to attribute the miles you get to how good of a driver/employee you are.
    As a final note double stacked loads of rolled roofing that you have o tarp in a safety harness are my least favorite load ever- the fact its a 600 mile weekend load only makes it more of a cornhole load

jomar68 Thanks this.
  4. Triletter

Triletter Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Being brand new to this business, I find I spend a lot of time with the securement and tarping. I can speed through the clean up phase. Most of my loads have been in the 600-700 mile range. Every load has been different, but that goes with the territory. Had a load of roofing styrofoam to Joplin, Mo that was a pita since there were so many things I didn't understand; could do the same load in half the time now. Delivered a load of steel parts for galvanizing today in La. That securement went very well. Got some assist from another Melton driver, but he didn't have any critique of my plan. He did show me a few tips to make me more efficient. Load in the morning for my first "long" haul; 1300 miles due Monday at 0800 in Co. Gonna have to have my poop in a sock since it is a JIT. Still wet behind the ears, but loving the company, people associated with it and my job. Get frustrated with myself occasionally, but being anal retentive that goes with the territory. Showers are much better when you haven't had one in 3-4 days. Good thing I don't have anyone with me!

Glad to hear you are still with Melton and getting the miles you want - most of the time.

5. fatherdirt88

fatherdirt88 Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I think after all the searching western express or melton which one should i go to all info on what i should do leaning towards melton...

6. burke

burke Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    orlando, FL
    Is western express in the mix? Me personally, I would have to say Melton has better equipment, I have t worked for W.E. but I've done plenty of comparing during my travels. I passed by a W.E. terminal the other day. I think it was in Birmingham. Not sure tho. It didn't look anywhere near the level of a Melton terminal. Just my observations, what ever its worth. There's lots of comrodary here at Melton. Just finished securing a load for the night. 2 other drivers here from Melton too. We all offered assistance if any of us needed it.

7. Azcannon

Azcannon Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Phx.AZ
    you should pm Noggin and talk his ear off on the phone and dont hold back , he really knows this company well.

8. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX

Where you heading in CO? Cannon is going to Denver right now....he should be there sunday afternoon

9. Triletter

Aug 30, 2012
    Going to Fort Collins for a Monday delivery. I think someone is messing with me; 7 telephone poles, 5 48' and 2 55'. Now the messing part - tarped. What the .....? Louisiana heat and humidity just about kicked my behind.

10. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    lol i woulda definitely asked the shipper if they REALLY needed to be tarped......

11. Triletter

Aug 30, 2012
    I did and they didn't. I think they are going to a golf course. Figured the CSR sold the tarping. Not worth the time, but $40 will be in my pocket. And I EARNED every red cent of it. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.