leaving the pumpkin patch coming over to interstate looking for some fresh input

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by metalhead2001, Nov 27, 2013.

1. metalhead2001

metalhead2001 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    After 14 months in a pumpkin truck im leaving and coming over to intersate. My orientation date is dec 9th at the lebanon facility. On here looking for any and all advice about the company cant seem to find a whole lot of reviews on here or other places for that matter. That tells me that they are have decent then if there isnt a whole lot of belly achin on this site about them. Really my only question I have is about truck assingments and how they work. I see they have a mixture of freightliners volvos and kw's what could I expect to be in. Going weekly time at home in a regional format. Currently in a cascadia love it for the most part. Also was wondering about office workers are they good to work with or opposite. Looking for all input about this place thanks so much and hope to see some of you over there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Uncle Pete's truckstop has decent food.

metalhead2001 Thanks this.
  4. Ryantruck38

Ryantruck38 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I was with interstate in 2009. I drove a Freightliner that had over 1 mil. miles on it. It was broken down a lot. It had an automatic in it and I hated it. I asked several times for a different truck and never got one. The biggest problem they have still is, they cannot get you home on time. Never! And the bad part is I lived in Louisville, KY. After a year, I gave up on them and told them bye. Maybe you will have better luck. Some people are good and honest, my dispatcher lied to me constantly. So, I never talked to him.

5. metalhead2001

Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! !

6. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    So far my experience with IDC has been pretty good. Over 56k miles since July 1. I was assigned a 2012 Cascadia out of orientation, which runs like a top. And I've only been late once for H/T. You will be treated with respect by offices and shops. The Tacoma and Fontana shops have been quick and accurate on repairs and no funny business from mechanics. The Tacoma yard is exceptional: gym, grill, shore power plug-ins, private showers, laundry etc. Most rigs are well maintained.

That said, it's not perfect here. The trucks have no APU's or Opti-Idle. They do have a bunk heater but batteries are so weak that you'll have to start the truck after 4-6 hrs. They have 1500 watt inverters, but with the battery power they are useless. The rigs have Shorepower plugs which are nice if you have somewhere to plug in. Idle has a 5 min cutoff (tap the throttle to override) unless the temp is below 27 or above 72.

One current dust up is that we used to be paid $10 for every dock we bump. They've recently taken that away and instead pay detention pay when you're held over 2 hrs (2.25 hrs = .25 hrs detention). I just did a 2 stop in Salt Lake with 4 hrs in docks, mileage pay only.

They've drastically cut back on local terminal drivers. As such, OTR drivers have to do more local loads. Any load under 150 miles is now considered "local" and pays at $13/hr. My argument on that is simple; those hours come off my books, I should be paid at OTR rate (CPMx50/hr) instead of 40% off.

Trailer condition is currently poor. Do careful pre trips to avoid DOT problems. And for God's sake, becareful on the landing gear. Many are stiff as heck and can throw your back out. That said, they are upgrading the trailer fleet to include air ride and tire pressure monitoring.

CSA scores are weak enough that California is making us pull into all scales (5 scales in 240 miles last weekend). Light load, empty (heck even 2 times bobtail) doesn't matter; you roll the scale.

metalhead2001 Thanks this.
  7. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Error on my last post: Locals are 100 miles or less including deadhead.

8. metalhead2001

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks bro. Oh and by the way travel just contacted me im good too go for the 9th got all the info I needed I appreciate all your help

9. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    No worries. Look me up once you get your rig.

10. metalhead2001

Oct 3, 2012
    So I had my first day of orientation today. Started out first thing going to the clinic and doing physcial assement test. Pretty basic stuff and not very grueling at all. Just standard bend lift and pull very easy. Came back and did drug drug screen then road test and backing test all very informal and lasted all of 30 minutes combined. Went inside did some computer training and then it was time for lunch. Second part of the day was voing over logging and hazardous materials paper work all common sense stuff if you been in the industry for minimal amount of time. I havent got my truck yet officially but I did get my truck number and was able to go out and do a walk around it. The its a newer cascadia not a streched one but a baby one but all in all from the outside the truck is spotless and looks to have been kept in extremely good shape. All and all the experience so far has been pretty good and ive been impressed with what I have seen so far. Im the only company driver in orientation (theres two owner ops) as well so extremely small class which I really like.. one highlight of the day is the instructor did confirm that in 1-2months fleet wide everyone will be on elogs. So it is coming not big deal to me ive been on them before and actually it really wasnt that bad. Hope the info helps and you guys hwve a great day.

californiatruckgirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.