LED Headlights

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 93Cobra, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    $1,500 Bucks for a set of headlights?!

The problem with these things is not just the price, but how bright they are in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Fine for an emergency response vehicle.

For the rest, at night the general rule of thumb is slow down. We were taught not to outrun our headlights, not to run fog lamps in clear weather and blind everyone else so you can see.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    They are fine for oncoming traffic similar to a stock HID set up, brilliant but when aimed properly not distracting.

Also to add to a previous post, these do have their failing in the snow. They will NOT melt the build up if it is snowing. Great in all other conditions.

Most of the guys I sell these to keep their conventional high beam and only change out the low beam. Also these now have Poly lenses so breakage is a non issue.

lostNfound Thanks this.
  4. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    And how much are you selling the low beams only for ?

5. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
  6. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Agreed, adjust them properly and both LED's or projector HID's are fine.

lostNfound Thanks this.
  7. 93Cobra

93Cobra Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I have to disagree with this - I have no issue with forward heat on mine and snow/ice is NOT an issue. I took a heat gun and measured the heat coming off the front of the light (just pointed right at the light with the laser beam) and it registered 101 deg. F. This is plenty to keep snow and ice off. Again, no issues with these since around February of 2010 in northeast Ohio conditions. It looks like the only place to get these from is still ordering direct from Sutphen. This is how we ordered more to replace lights in our other trucks.

8. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    they melt snow just fine.

9. sulltran

sulltran Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston,MA
    Anybody that is running the JW Speaker LED headlights, please tell us how you like them. I am considering this upgrade. They might be expensive but the stock sealed beams are horrible. Worth the money?

10. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
    I have customers in Alaska that would beg to differ!:biggrin_255:

I think the build up can be attributed to the great heat sink that the Speaker ones have, seems at highway speed its almost too effective at removing the heat from the body of the lamp vs the halogen. Standing still the temps may be the same but I suspect at highway speed it will be quite different. I would imagine the conditions also play a major roll, dry snow vs wet sloppy stuff. Typically on the coast here it is the latter.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I see United Pacific has a led headlight out for about the same money. Looks a little different than the jw model. Anyone have any experiance with the United Pacific?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.