Left during training, can I still work in the industry?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Slaughter31, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Slaughter31

Slaughter31 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    I just signed up for the forum today. First I would like to thank Bullhauler for the warm welcome. Also, I would like to send props out to Harvey Wallbanger...great posting and pretty much answered my question.
    I got my CDL a little over a year ago and went to work for Steven's Transport. The experience was not at all an enjoyable one.
    Maybe, I just got a bad trainer. Nice enough guy, but he flat had no business driving a Big Wheel, let alone a Big Rig. I got out of the truck in Phoenix after he ran off the road no less than three times in three hrs. Not over the rumble strips, I'm talking throwing dirt up from trailer duals. I guess his Blackberry was more important than our lives.
    I guess my question is, how likely is it that I will be looked at as an unfavorable driver because of this? Do I have any recourse to dispute this? I didn't say anything to my Driver Mgr. about his driving, just hopped on a plane and came back to Denver.
    I have a great work ethic, I think. I'm at work every day at least a half- hour before I'm scheduled. I love to drive and am pretty dang good at it if I say so myself. I have a spotless driving record and I have a Top Secret Clearance with the Department of Defense. I currently do Security at the local Air Force base.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    So did you just quit and never contact Stevens or what?

4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    First off, order your DAC report and see what is on it.

Then start calling some different companies and talk to the recruiters to see what they have to say. You will most likely get a few different answers so you will at least have a few options.

Personally as your story goes I see a refresher course in your future if you want to get back into a truck. Not really a big deal, just do it through company schooling and you won't have to fork out any money.

Next time if that happens, call safety immediately and request a different trainer. Happens quite often so the companies are usually pretty understanding. Also they most likely have had it happen before with that particular trainer.

5. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    Good luck and welcome! Ol wallbanger know much more than me about this topic as I did not go that route to get into the industry. It does sound like your on the right track to me however the main point here is to make money and come home!

6. Slaughter31

Jan 24, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    First, Thanks to all who replied. Harvey, no I didn't contact safety, I did call my Mgr. I just told him that I had to go back to Denver for a family issue. The Mgr. and the trainer did both call me about coming back and I still said nothing about the off-road excursion.
    Like I said earlier, I think my question was answered as far as having to take a refresher. No biggie. Thanks again everybody and keep the rubber side down.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Always best to deal with things like this head-on. You should have had a "discussion" with the trainer right then and there as well as safety.

8. Slaughter31

Jan 24, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    Allow me,
    Should that "discussion" have taken place in the truck stop between my 3-d Maglite and his coconut?

9. Nashville Driver

Nashville Driver Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    1st off you will find another company, providing Stevens just put "quit" on your Hireright, and at the most rehireable "with review". Now as a student driver and not completing your training, that will hurt as well as the fact that its over a year later and now your going back. I would stay away from talking about your training expeirence and focus on family. You will have to face the fact that some of the better training companies will simply drop things after they see you did not complete your training and its over year later, just dont let it bother you and move on......some other training company will pick you up, I would just not get too picky. Also did you attend Stevens School and recieve your diploma? or attend another school before starting your training?,.... as you will need a valid paid for diploma in hand prior to applying., I know some of these training companies will state you did not fully complete all of their training program, if you went to their school and did not finishing paying the obligation. I have a friend going to work for Walmart, he now has 5 years of time in the seat, but left the first company he trained with and never paid the bill, so now he is having trouble qualifying for the job as they require you have attended an "Accredited School" and that school states he never finished even though he has a CDL in hand, because he quit the sponsored company program, shortly after getting his first load and never paid a dime.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  10. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    What worries me the most is that you allowed unsafe driver stay out there. Without so much as a word........That disqualifies you as a real driver because a truck driver would still be on here blaming the trainer, the company, the weather, the cell phone, any driver that was at the truck stop, the airline he flew home on, and most of all the scales. So see you learned to drive but there is so much more

11. deviltalk

deviltalk Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Agreed.

I think you will be fine getting another job, but you've lost a lot of time/money by not being direct.

I hope it works out for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.