Leg soreness/cramping:

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Russian Rabbit, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Any of you OTR or linehaul drivers experiencing any leg soreness/pain/or cramping?

i don't think local p+d drivers have this problem? (which might be a big clue here).

i've had some bigtime soreness and even some very painful cramping lately. i attribute the cramping to possibly being dehydrated, but not 100% sure on that.

Any idea of what's going on here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    This would kind of qualify as a medical condition i'm not a qualified practitioner however some causes of cramps can be if you're not hydrating properly, you need to drink at least 2 litres of water per day more so if your in very hot humid conditions, basically if you don't replace what you body is putting back out through sweat or what body fluids you pass when you pee this will lead to dehydration such as cramping and even worst if not taken care of, try taking a magnesium supplement and drink some of those sports drinks alternatively make your own with abit of water, honey some salt mixed with coconut water. If these symptoms do persist please consult with your local health care professional.

4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I wonder if compression socks would help.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I used to drive an old Ford 9000. One night I cramped so bad I had the phone in my hand with 911 keyed. I was ready to push but outlasted it. One of the worst pains I have ever had. I am so thankful to be in an auto. Now I just raise and lower my seat to avoid the same position. I drink a lot of beverages too. Take ibuprofen also as needed.

6. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I would start by upping your hydration, as the average person is usually far from adequately hydrated, as well as doing some extra walking when you stop to increase blood flow, as sitting for prolonged periods of time actually promotes DECREASED blood flow. It can also cause fluid build up in the veins within your legs. I suggest giving that a try, and if after doing that for a good week or so, and still no dice, I'd look at booking a doctors appointment. I'm not a medical professional and this information should not be taken as such.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Edema something could be related to this perhaps. Unless thats just leg swelling.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    this NBC newsman died of blood clots in his legs, due to sitting for long periods of time..

https://nypost.com/2003/04/07/tragedy-at-nbc-reporter-david-bloom-39-dies-of-blood-clot/

and this..
    On April 6, 2003, Bloom was traveling with the U.S. Third Infantry Division in Iraq while covering the war in Iraq. He had been on assignment in Iraq for several weeks when a blood clot in his leg (known as deep vein thrombosis or DVT) traveled to an artery in his lungs, causing a fatal pulmonary embolism.[7] "The clot in Bloom's leg was likely brought on by spending long days and nights cramped inside armored vehicles.

David Bloom - Wikipedia

he was a real good reporter/newsman/anchorman.....i used to watch him and Soledad O'Brien on the weekend Today Show...

so what OTR drivers NEED to do is, get out and stretch about every 3-4 hours or so daily....walk around the customer's warehouse, truck stop, etc....

Jazz1, x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It could be cancer

10. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    You definitely need to start with increased real water intake daily, walking more daily and doing the leg and foot stretching exercises in the evening after you're finished driving. Dehydration doesn't always present as feeling thirsty.

Additionally, add potassium through diet - just eating a banana can make a huge difference. As can adding a Gatorade daily. Light compression socks that go to the knee are inexpensive and can definitely help - may take a couple of days to see any improvement though.

Too much salt in your regular diet can cause dehydration and make an existing problem worse.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THAT is one thing that could be tested for relatively easy and excluded if need be.

DVT would be the one threat. Dehydration would be the other. A third would be degeneration in the major bones of the leg or the major nerves that provides control, sensory and other controls to the leg at the spine being compressed.

Go easy on the potassium. Follow the recommended daily intake and not more than that. Because you can throw the heart out of whack which could in some situations kill you. Or worse, get you revived as a brain damaged vegetable.

Oldironfan and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.