Let's Talk Training - Lowering Equipment Maintenance Expenses

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Getstepn, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Getstepn

Getstepn Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    I would like to open up a discussion about the training program here at Con-way.
    I am a Contractor that started as a company driver direct out of USTDTS in Michigan.
    Making my conversion to ownership about a year ago has opened my eyes to the real world of trucking. In particular, I am referring to the efficiencies required to really operate a truck safely in terms of mechanics.
    I DO NOT want to turn this into a "bash" session for my beloved Blue! I simply feel that putting this question out, could improve upon the program. Improvements that should result in better drivers, less turn around, and lower equipment maintenance expenses. All resulting in us giving the most convincing argument for better wages. Imagine if you will, the company say 5 million a year in preventative maintenance. We would never get all of it, but in looking at the bottom line it would be easier to make more money and pay better per mile. What happens to the company side always transfers to contractors and vice versa.

So, what are your ideas/thoughts?
    I would love to see them.

frankgh and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What's beloved blue?Terrific ideas you have but that's too easy for companies to comprehend.FMCSA isn't any better.

4. Getstepn

Jul 10, 2012
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    Beloved Blue is just a term I came up with. Con-way's theme is "Stay true to blue."

I understand that the concept of making company X more money doesn't always equal better wages. However I also believe that it is a GREAT starting point. As a whole Con-way is a very good company. But like every company out there, we have some broken parts. Safety and maintenance go hand in hand. To do one, you typically employ tactics of the other. The greatest way we as drivers/contractors can effect the company is at the bottom line. When we help set record profits and work with training and development coordinators to safely and effectively run the trucks, we directly and indirectly effect that bottom line.

I can go on and on regarding business strategies, but that's not what I wanted this post to be. My 17 very successful years in restaurants taught me a few things that cross segment lines of our economy. This is not however the intended topic of my open question.

If we want great profits we need success to start with the drivers. As far as customers, the public, shippers and receivers we are Con-way. The terminal staffs and corporate individuals may weild a mighty pen but in reality we hold the power. That said, we also hold the future and success level of any change.

5. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    You could talk about lack of mantainece outside of Joplin ... I've been around awhile , never heard of a company with only one terminal shop , yeah I guess Laredo catches some trl issues ... But everything else is sent to the T/A or the Dealer

6. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I've long thought about posting how to videos starring special guests from our terminal.

You'd be surprised how many ppl don't know how to change a brake light or replace a glad hand seal for Christ's sake.

Can't blame though if they were never taught.
    7500 isn't enough with a finisher.
    30000 minimum is what is should be.

How to adjust brakes
    How to replace different bulbs
    How to replace windshield wipers
    How to flip a glad hand
    How to replace mudflap
    You know basic crap that is so simple.

If the corporate morons would simply post that upon YouTube it is basically a free commercial for recruiting as well as saving this place TONS of more money than they realize they are losing.

Would cut down rs time for sure.
    Rs have them watch the video then call back if they still can't do it.

I could care less... Ain't my money.

I just did a 40 mile "local"dh to pickup to one side under dispatched 20 miles cause I went through loaded again... That's over an hours work... Unpaid just right there.

Idle away...

Getstepn, double yellow and paul_4lp Thank this.
  7. frankgh

frankgh Medium Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    NW Florida
    I certainly didn't need 30000 miles with a finisher but that's me. Lack of maintenance knowledge among drivers is mind boggling.

Conway has some pretty good supplemental training requirements but it could be improved upon. Students would benefit from a day in the shop learning the tasks CW mentioned. I do like the YouTube idea too. You aren't going to turn everyone into a master mechanic but if drivers have a better fundamental understanding of the equipment they operate, it can only help.

paul_4lp and Getstepn Thank this.
  8. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I know how to change a mud flap and wipers ... I go to the T/A and hand them my black card !

9. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Lulz @you Paul.

I do the same thing every pm...hey...wanna stick some wipers on? Nawwww you guys can stick em on (an extra what $50)

They just smile. Yessir!

:O

Make me mad with low miles I'm gonna require a jump and ignore my jumper cables (always a pain in the butt to find someone willing noooooo .... I have computers....woman you drive a kia! Those cost like $20 might as well have an elio!

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  10. Getstepn

Jul 10, 2012
    Chesterfield Twp, MI
    First I should probably say say sorry. I have a bad habit of being around for a week or so then vanishing for a couple.
    That said, I seriously plan on gathering the information obtained here and from other forum sources to try and put it all into a "program." I'm talking a bound workbook with worksheets and all. Once completed I will post a link here to my website where anyone can access the digital form of the book.

I plan on giving published credit to all contributors to the project. As I get the info compiled I will PM you to get your info as you would like it to appear. (forum name or real etc.)

My desire is to create a professional/complete product for presentation.

Please keep the ideas coming.

******ADMINS....I INTENDED FOR THIS THREAD TO COVER THE ARRAY OF TOPICS THAT IMPACT OPERATING EXPENSES. I TITLED THE THREAD 'LET'S TALK TRAINING' BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I WANTED AND WHERE I WANTED TO BOTH START AND CENTER THE SUBJECT. I PLANNED ON MORE THAN, 'LOWERING EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE EXPENSES' WHICH I ASSUME ONE OF YOU ADDED. I AM NOT SURE WHY THE THREAD WAS CHANGED. HOWEVER, CAN YOU PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK.

11. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Those pesky admins...

Be a nice $1 app for download.

I'm still waiting for my app that links to my camera that I attach via magnet to the trailer.

Then look at my blind side through the app on my phone.

Need to jerry rig somin up like that and charge 300 at the truck stop.

paul_4lp and frankgh Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.