Let's talk turbos

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Last Call, Jun 21, 2021.

1. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    The 78mm comment wasnt to oxbow, might check who that was replying to. Oxbow and I had pretty regular conversations when he was trying to decide what to go with prior to him putting the 177148 on.

Have fun with that 1.32 turbine housing, I switched to a 1.65 gated on my B model and still made 40+psi with the gate working, but that truck was just driving on imaginary roads when I took it anywhere.

Enjoy the discussion. I will let Eric (Sled) know they next time we chat about turbo combos that he should just come here instead of reaching out directly to me.

w9l and spsauerland Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    You did indeed help me decide which way to go, and I thank you for that. It was good advice. Geez, how many years ago was that, 6 or 7?

We don't put a lot of miles on in year, but that BW has had no issues, and it made the old truck feel like a sports car compared to the stock turbo it replaced.

A neighbor of mine had put the Blaylock turbo on his truck and some of his equipment, and that influenced me to try one. Granted, they aren't the same specs as mine, but all use the switchblade deal.
    When I bought it I was thinking it would be the best of both worlds. In hindsight, as I mentioned before, it is nothing like the wastegated turbo for quick spooling.

I have to remind myself sometimes that the stock turbos with stock settings would yield 18 to maybe 21 pounds of boost. What we have now is much better.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  4. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    10-4

5. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    My mistake on the 78mm comment. Tell Eric whatever you want. Eric helped me out alot back in the day. I am forever indebted to him. He was never cynical, or sarcastic with his answers. He never talked down to me or made me feel like I was a pest or that my questions were stupid or trivial. He never told me or anyone else I know of that what we had at the time was dinosaur technology or implied it was worthless junk. Instead he would try to help you make the best of it. Btw, Eric has pulled a bullrack some so he knows what it amounts to. So when Eric comes to you to get your blessing on some combo be sure and tell him all that too! Pretty well all I ever got from u was 177148 or forget it. I am tired of walking on eggshells everytime I post in your presence. Like I said, be great on a dump or stop and go work. I wouldn't h have anything else. I also have seen firsthand that cattle trucks have been grenading quick spooling and gated chargers since the late 80's early 90's. It has nothing to do with being fast or king of the hill. It has everything to do with getting the job done. I spent 5 solid hours crossing central to west central Ks today in 95 to 100 degree heat and a stiff and steady crosswind. Boost between 26 and 29 psi 80 or 90% of that time. Only break being going through a half dozen little towns. All this at the end of a 600 mi 10.5 hour load that started in Ar. Fan locked , and watching gauges like a hawk just to maintain 65 to 70mph at 90k.

6. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    It has been quite a while, the boost can be deceiving when most 425s ran low 20s, that 177148 is gated for around 26psi and was the replacement for a 550.

7. SmokinCAT

Oct 20, 2010
    Yes, I have driven out there, actually had to drive for my dad pulling a rack out to Kansas when he got blood poisoning, you keep thinking because I don't drive all the time that I don't know how turbos work on working trucks, you keep thinking that and I will keep helping people that don't have an issue with me.

I could care less if you walk on egg shells, it doesn't matter to me.

w9l Thanks this.
  8. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Your knowledge of specs and part numbers is very real. It far, far exceeds mine any day, I am sure. Yes, it was specced for certain 550's. A month or whatever of covering for your dad might give you a peak at the environment these engines live and die in.But the bigger part of 30yrs produces a lot more scenarios and first hand experiences that say what works in a lab or on a flow bench may not perform as well in the real world. Did you. not believe that Oxbow experienced more retention of heat? If the 425's you are referring to are stock that 177148 would most likely be a very impressive improvement. But most of us are well beyond 425 and low 20 boost numbers. You know alot and I know very little about anything in comparison so how dare me question anything you say. Hence eggshells. I know you dont care that leave the impression that you know it all and anything you say is the way it is and not open for discussion and anyone that dares do something different will be mocked and shunned. Been like that for 8 or 9 years that I know of. You are the TURBO GURU OF THE DIESEL WORLD. The way you treat people that haven't been blessed with the time or smarts to achieve what you have doesn't do much to promote your credibility. The real heroes in this internet world are the humble guys that are open to questions ( think w.o. or Sled for example and many many others) and willing to reply with helpful and polite explanations even to us hard headed morons.

Last Call Thanks this.
  9. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Reason for edit: Butt typed
  10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    20210621_162820.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I know fuel and heat caused this .. but this is a 2 week old BW 177148 that came off a 3406b..
    So my question is .. What do I put on this truck now.. and this goes along with what W9L said about real world longevity

Oxbow and w9l Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.