Let's talk uturns

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boattlebot, Mar 29, 2017.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    gotta do what ya gotta do

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I got off my route because of a detour to Hunts Market once. Had to do a U Turn in the Bronx Cop caddy corner to me but I shrugged my shoulders and did it. He watched LOL He knew I had to or would have caused serious traffic issue getting stuck. Sometimes no choice but obviously avoid when possible!!

4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Was it a full U-ey, or more of a 3-point turn?

5. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I agree it is best not to... but for the sake of argument, let's say it is national big truck U turn day..

My gut reaction is the answers is not the same for every driver.. I know I am not an expert driver, so there are certain parking spots I won't even attempt.. and when it comes to U turns.. I would need a wider road, no traffic, all the time in the world.. and something to calm the nerves would be nice...

But, I am sure there are drivers who can successfully maneuver a U Turn in a tighter radius than me, less time, with a large enough gap in traffic and not even be stressed or nervous...

Which is why it is good to know your skill level and operate with in it and your skills will develope..

But that being said.. and It was said in an earlier post.. many of the drivers with the experience and skills to do a U Turn often also seem to be the drivers with the common sense not to unless absolutely necessary and conditions are suitable to do so..

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I've done it, but I didn't feel good about it. Didn't wreck anything either.

One U-turn I WILL NOT make, though, is through the emergency vehicle cutouts on the Interstates. I learned from the mistakes of others on this one, long before there was Youtube.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Unless a cop is telling me to take one of those, my tires will never touch one.

I've made 2 uturns one today and one awhile back I forget when.

I avoid at all costs really. Altho I have gotten very very good at them from spinning around in parkinglots

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    From another thread since I can't upload anything since the site update.

Boattlebot, G13Tomcat and tucker Thank this.
  9. thetourman

thetourman Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Just retired as a city cop. I would assist holding up traffic for the trucks that had to make U turns and tankers that had to back out of a gas station onto a state route.

I never worried if they went off a truck route as many times the no truck route signs could not be seen until the drivers were committed to their turn. We had one street that was a small residential road that the GPS would put trucks onto to go to the rear of a local business instead of the front of it which was on a main 4 lane road.

Never bothered me to offer to help or when someone requested help. Many of the new officers did not seem so anxious to help others. I always told them put yourself in the drivers shoes.

10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ Thank you, sir!

tucker Thanks this.
  11. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ie: Hone in on your learned backing skills, and go the way you came in. (or 3 left turns, or TAKE THE NEXT RIGHT TURN~!)

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.