Leukemia !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by jtrnr1951, May 30, 2010.

1. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Anybody on here have it. ????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It doesn't run in my family

Are you OK?????

4. CA_Medicine_Woman

CA_Medicine_Woman Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Oak Creek, WI
    Interesting to find this question here. Truckers are at particular risk for certain types of leukemia, especially Hairy Cell Leukemia (HCL) because of continuous exposure to petroleum products (fuel, oil, exhaust from poorly maintained cars in front of them, etc).

Given the numbers of truckers on the roads today, it's reasonable to assume that some of them have some form of leukemia. Getting them to discuss it in a public forum, however, can be problematic, especially in today's economy, where drivers are treated like "dime-a-dozen" disposable assets by many carriers. We already know carriers prowl this site looking to see if any of their drivers are posting on it, and what it is they actually post.

I would guess that, given the way the insurance industry operates lately, that they have more than a few representatives prowling around as well. Public admission of having leukemia could put a driver's career at risk, and force them out well before the disease itself would. Even the few good motor carriers would be pressured into terminating drivers with acute or chronic serious illnesses by their insurance carriers.

I have worked in hematology and oncology before and during my driving career, and still have an interest in these areas. I have also seen how this industry, in the last few years, treats drivers with any kind of health issues, even minor ones. I wish there was a safe way for drivers to be able to discuss this issue, especially given the unique nature of our profession and the need for resources that can keep drivers working at their fullest potential while dealing with it.

5. Jackson1604

Jackson1604 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2010
    south bend,in
    My mother in law had it,she was CURED.

6. upullinmychain

upullinmychain Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    I have chronic cml,philidelphia gene and all,prognosis is complete cure in 5 years.still dot certified and legal...have hope my brethren,all it costs is 8,000$ a month for the meds...lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.