Level 4 warning 2011 prostar

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by dog-c, Dec 26, 2011.

1. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Men, I got a level 4 warning that just came on as I was getting a cup of coffee here at green river, Utah conoco, I came back inTo the truck to find it blasting *stop engine, so I need some insight, my coolant was low, (and every day I add coolant at least 1/2 gallon a day), last week the same alarm was going off near Tennessee border, drove it to terminal and had crankcase filter replaced. That seemed to solve the problem until now......oil levels are fine coolant fine I can't go anywhere the nearest international dealer is 100 miles east to co border at grand junction and west.....any advice ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Almost sounds like a bad censor....but if it is "shut down" not "warn engine"...you need to send a message to Mr. Haney!

4. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    I hope is just a internal sensor...any coolant in engine? water in diesel? call service immediatly! keep us posted.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Level 4 as in DPF soot loading? If so, you should have gotten level 1, then 2 and then 3 warnings. Did this happen? If you went from all good straight to a level 4 it sounds like there is something wrong with the DPF differential pressure sensor or circuit. But, be honest about the DPF warning lights. There are still a lot of drivers and owners that don't know enough about them and when they need to do a parked regen. Level 1 you get your DPF light coming on solid. Usually just driving a highway speed is enough to burn off the soot. Level 2 is a flashing DPF light. This is a higher level of DPF plugging and now you have to pull over and do a parked regen. Level three is really your last warning, DPF light is on and flashing, CEL is on and dash is beeping. You MUST pull over and do a parked regen. Level 4 is when the engine is sensing extreme DPF plugging that is enough to cause damage. The engine will not let you go above idle. A regen must be done only with a laptop by an International tech. This is tricky to do because without a laptop I think the engine keeps shutting down so it won't get hot enough to even start a parked regen.

6. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    What engine? As what heavyd said it should go through lvl 1-4, not just go to lvl 4 right away. I have a couple 07 emission maxxforce 13 go right to lvl 4 and not flag the other stages. If the coolant level is low enough it can throw a stop engine light for low coolant. If its using coolant it could be an egr cooler. As for why the stop engine light is on its hard to say with out hooking up a laptop and seeing what fault is triggering it.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The stop engine light comes on at a level 4 dpf warning.

dog-c Thanks this.
  8. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    Ya I know that. I get alot of drivers confused with the triangle warning light on the dash saying the regen light is on but the actual regen light isnt on. I was wondering if the triangle + the stop engine, or triangle + stop + dpf light was on.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yah, it is confusing, but unless someone ripped it off, everything is there on the backside of the visor.

10. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    On my old pro star that used that much coolant. It was egr cooler.

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    we had a egr cooler go bad when they found it leaking we had been in 3 shops and 2 dealers b4 it should it was leaking but when they changes it they also had to change every thing turbo, dpf, muffler, it was a 09 with a isx

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.