Leveling valve height fld120

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I was wondering if anyone knows with the proper airbag height would be for my 1995 fld120.

I want to make sure my airbags are set right because my drive shafts are being balanced now.

And where do I measure that height from?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    97 FLD120 manual says it depends on your axle mounting but will usually be 2 5/8 measured from the bump stop to bottom of the frame.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Is there a way that I can find out if I have the different type of axle mounting?

I'd really like everything to be exactly the way that it should be so that my universals will last and the truck will have the right Driveline angles avoiding vibration and the whole thing.

5. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    I actually dont know, didn't think there were other setups, I think I remember reading that anything above 2 1/4 would keep the drive line from getting getting damaged, dont quote me on that though, the book says 2 5/8 or cycle the suspension and set it at the midpoint of travel, then check 5th wheel height is within tolerance of standard. Mine doesn't have driveline vibration and it's set at the 2 5/8 give or take a quarter. I've got rt40-145 axles so if you've got the same dont see them being mounted any differently.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    @SpeedyGonzalez

Thank you. I called Freightliner but they had no answers for me.

I have the same Meritor axles and I will go by that setting. Thank you again.

Rideandrepair and SpeedyGonzalez Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s what I always set mine at. One a 99, current 2001, both air liners. I’ve always been told 2.5-2.75” top of stop to bottom of frame, on front axle, right side. Couple yrs ago, I was told front axle left side. I checked both sides last time. I think they were off a bit. I’m going to be checking it before Monday, anyway. New shocks etc.Youll know if it’s off,it will ride terrible. Too low, it will grind while coasting, too high it will make a grinding or almost an occasional snapping or binding noise through the gearshift.Re check it after a test drive, also. I had trouble, last time, as it would be higher, after driving. Decided to set it one last time, before replacing valve. It stayed put.The difference when it’s off, is huge, along with bad shocks, Mine, liked to beat us to death, last trip home, Lol, when it’s right, rides like a Cadillac, well maybe a Lincoln, or a Buick.Loading our Tues. Couple new seats, we’ll be floating.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Don’t get Moroe shocks either. They’re gas charged. Once they leak out they’re done. Original from dealer or even Gabriel’s are better. I was short one steer shock, ended up putting Monroe’s on steer. As that’s all they had. But I know they won’t last long. They were cheap enough, but will replace with original Freightliner, black shocks, very soon, I’m sure. I’m curious how it will ride, with gas charged on steer only. Last set of Monroe’s rode good for about 3 mos. if that. After 1 yr. all six were completely gone.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I have to check to see which shocks Freightliner sent me.

I thought the Box said Monroe on it but I'll have to check tomorrow...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Now that I think about it. The Monroe’s I put on the front are black, not the yellow gas charged ones. I haven’t used them before. Always yellow gas charged. I think Monroe’s have a larger diameter piston, according to them. The black ones may be ok

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    17412D0A-236E-4767-A4B1-4F9D9AFF7745.jpeg Well She’s riding very well, now. Didn’t check height, but looking at airbags, I can tell it hasn’t moved. Still at 2 5/8” Had to make a better height rod for cab A/R as original has always been a little short. All metal from ACO. All new shocks, that’s where it’s at.Like Butter!! Had to do something with the frame, not the greatest. But better than nothing. Got all the tools out of side box. That helps too. Cab would bottom out, sometimes. Lol. Front Monroe’s seem to be good, Time will tell.

SpeedyGonzalez and Dino soar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.