License number disclosure

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by loadedlen, Oct 13, 2018.

1. loadedlen

loadedlen Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Edmonton, AB
    I have been with a company for 6 years, recently they implemented ELDs in all trucks. My employer has always had a photocopy of my driver's license on file, but still requires my consent whenever they want a driver's abstract. My license number has now been linked with my login profile for the ELD (Omnitracs). It is visible on the HOS/Header screen. As far as I'm aware, this is not a legal requirement. I never wrote my license number on a paper log. The company systems administrator assures me that my personal information remains in Canada, but this isn't good enough for me. It's in the cloud. Transmitting everytime I log in and out of the ELD. I was never informed that this information was being disclosed, to whom, and for what purpose. The company operates as a federally regulated carrier, though I do not ever travel into the US, or even out of province. Not sure why Omnitracs thinks it is necessary. If I'm ever asked by law enforcement, licensing authority, or compliance officer (and the reason is valid) I will happily provide my license for review.

Curious to know what other people think about license numbers, and possibly other personal information being disclosed to tracking companies, and being transmitted to/stored on a server somewhere.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I agree with you. That is nuts.
    Yet I can offer no advice.

loadedlen Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    As a American who has good luck in Canada I say this...

I'll be [extreme profane word] and damination if my stupid license number or hard identifier is part of a system that is iffy, flawed, tied to a #### truck that I might never see again and so on.

Who are these ELD people think they are to demand this BS from us? They have NO right. I aint done that #### on paper logs and I'll be [falling down on more profanity) ###### if I start now. Mark of the beast or something to grovel permission to log in and go to work. HELL NO.

///RANT. *And pounds table.

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I 2nd that motion. ^^^^^^^^^

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And are we collectively THAT STUPID to hand over this information into a computer because the ... creator of same demands it?

I should just type driver LEEROYY and fill the license field 66666-666

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. loadedlen

loadedlen Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Edmonton, AB
    Iffy, and flawed... You got that right. Yesterday it told me I had 17.25 hours of time left for the day before I was in violation. Cant even be trusted to do simple math!

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    They're lying.

Most likely. ;)

Omnitracs is an American company and the information is likely on their servers which are no doubt based in the U.S. which has different (looser) privacy and disclosure regulations than here.

I would tell your employer to remove that information and scrub it from the system as thoroughly as possible. There is no reason for it to be there.

x1Heavy, Oldironfan and loadedlen Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Can you imagine common core math?

Old math

2+2=4

Common Core

II
    II

IIII

then

IIII
    II
    II

or something like that. It's such BS that is hurting our kids. And hurting me in terms of blood pressure when I think about that too much.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    With the ELD mandate, the license number is a required part of the eld user.

Here are the regs.

4.1.2. Account Creation

(a) Each user of the ELD must have a valid active account on the ELD with a unique identifier assigned by the motor carrier.

(b) Each driver account must require the entry of the driver's license number and the State or jurisdiction that issued the driver's license into the ELD during the account creation process. The driver account must securely store this information on the ELD.

(c) An ELD must not allow creation of more than one driver account associated with a driver's license for a given motor carrier.

(d) A driver account must not have administrative rights to create new accounts on the ELD.

(e) A support personnel account must not allow recording of ELD data for its account holder.

(f) An ELD must reserve a unique driver account for recording events during non-authenticated operation of a CMV. This appendix will refer to this account as the “unidentified driver account.”

loadedlen and roshea Thank this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    True... and thanks for posting that.

However, those are the US rules which do not apply to the OP nor the carrier for vehicles operating in Canada. My beef, if I was the OP, would be the misinformation and laziness on the part of the carrier in dealing with the driver's information. The carrier can segregate drivers by operating area.

x1Heavy and loadedlen Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.