Lieing on logs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by scottd25, Aug 16, 2009.

1. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Been an O/O off and on since '74...Never been one to conform to a company and all their B.S. for very long! So actually I guess I've pretty much always had this job...

Of course! I used to run two log books and take cross tops and an occasional black beauty and party like a rockstar in the back row of whatever truckstop I got stuck in. I used to carry a cooler full of beer on the floor on the passenger side in case I got thirsty while I was workin' too! I guess I was too young to care and I was fortunate enough to not get in any trouble in those days. ..

But those days are LONG OVER!

I haul a lot of freight from brokers just like a lot of guys here do...I have developed some relationships with brokers based on good service and always being on time with their freight and that translates into getting better paying freight out of them.
    They know I run legal and they know that I won't touch a load that doesn't have enough time on it to get it there legally.
    Why can't everybody do that? I'm no different than any other guy out there and I do it!

I will never forget where I started...I learned to drive from an old O/O that was kind enough to take me under his wing and let me run with him. I got the ##### slapped out of me whenever I scratched a gear or did something less than perfect!
    If I wasn't showered and presentable to the customer he'd ###### about it all day and every morning before we got under way I had to windex all the glass and the mirriors ( I still do that today)
    And you know what?
    That old guy turned me into a pretty good driver and for that I'll always be grateful 'cause so far I've done pretty well for myself out here.

MUSTANGGT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Redd, I don't know who you have come in contact with, but the guys I work with and me have never "sabotaged" a truck. I know there is bad ones in every industry but that's a pretty broad claim.

4. dieselbear

Oct 18, 2008
    Log it the way you drove it. It may save you a few $$$$$ of caught with "creative logs" as some have suggested. I get false log books every day, whoops I'm sorry "creative logs". It gets the driver 10 hours out of service and a hefty fine.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have a lot of personal friends who were cops. One of my BIL is one. For the most part I have run into ones that was decent. I have run into a couple that was jerks in the last couple years. One was just a few weeks ago in Houston. He was very rude and when I was on the phone he kept shooting his mouth off and I had to say excuse me I am on the phone trying to get a wrecker. He would not shut up, just kept being rude and running his mouth when I was speaking with the wrecker co.

6. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Exactly, and this is just your own experience as well. Yet you don't catch bank robbers every day or any number of possible intuitive crimes. At some point you have to look at the system that is creating criminals out of every day citizens trying to just get through a lousy day of work. There is obviously something much larger at play.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  7. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Left Lane
    Log what you need to, do it safe and correct, and down talk about the rest.

8. dieselbear

Oct 18, 2008
    Well pharm pharm, not every day do we have a bank robbed in the area of the State I work. But for your information, I have been involved in 2 bank robbery suspect arrests. The last 14 months ago, vehicle pursuit and shots fired at the suspect for attempting to run over a Trooper and Deputy Sheriff. Let's see I don't have enough time or patience to list a resume' of everyone I have put the bracelet's on in 13 years. I can tell you their is 13 driver's in federal prison and 2 company owners from an investigation I started a few years ago. Two convicted murderers that I help investigate a number of years ago that are there for life plus 20. You see Pharm Pharm I wasn't always "DOT" I'm just assigned to that unit now. So I don't run calls anymore and lock up people the way I used to. However, I still try and lock up anyone I come in contact with that is involved in criminal activity. You would probably be surprised how many criminals are driving trucks and using trucks to further their criminal enterprise. It's a small percentage, but in my book any percentage is too many.

9. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    No that wasn't my point at all. I wasn't taking a shot at what you look for. I was saying the relative frequency of this crime is what is peculiar in the broader sense. You do in fact see it every day, because it happens all day long. There is a reason why. I am encouraging a lengthy look at change, not whether or not you should do your job.

dieselbear and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  10. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    We still run "bird dogs',problem is most buy the cheap stuff and get spanked and never run another.

11. dieselbear

Oct 18, 2008

Pharm,

Be careful asking about "CHANGE". We see what "change " has gotten us so far in Washington D.C.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.