Life before trucking

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Rocket, May 9, 2007.

1. dsober1

dsober1 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Marydel, Delaware
    Will do in due time. I didn't quite mean 2 xpres self-pity n guess I had a bad day. The point is that, imo, I went blue collar 2 blue collar. I earn my living. Truck driving is a decent profession, however, u will get what u put out as ur employer sees fit. Big $ is not automatic.

Driving is much the same as other skilled labor, u will earn as much as u effectively accomplish within the "on the clock" duties ur specific employer affords (only if u prove worthy, dependable, and persistantly ASK 4 it). Businesspersons r quite shrewd, they constantly manipulate their market and labor force 2 their advantage.

I am convinced that the white collar r actively persuing the quest 2 increase the drvr pool in order 2 reduce and limit labor cost! "If this drvr won't work 4 this pay, then one of them applicants in my overstuffed database will". Get d picture? The number of class A help wanted ads
    r few today wheras a year or 2 ago they totaled the whole column or two.

Also, just as any other skilled labor, u can become a contractor and ur finiancial gains wud equate 2 ur business skills combined with or without ur time behind the wheel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FunnyFarm04

FunnyFarm04 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Oak Hills, California
    Well, as a teen I trained horses and gave riding lessons to beginners. I was also a groom for the horses at Medieval Times in Buena Park, CA. That was quite an experience. Then when I had my daughter I Wanted a more steady income. My sister suggested I drive school busses like she did. I thought that sounded great, no weekend work so I could still show my own horses. So off I went to school bus training. Well after a couple of years I decided that was not the job for me. I liked driving, but those kids were something else! :biggrin_25525: A good friend of mine was a truck driver, after talking to him at length about the job, he helped me get into a training program at the company he was driving for. He ended up being my driver trainer, and was awesome! Very patient and helpful. The company was not a good match for me as I was the second female employed there as a driver, and many did not like that. I didnt feel safe and left after a few months, but immediatly found a much better job in trucking. I am now a stay at home Mom, and am getting ready to get back in the truck after being out of the loop for 4 years.

It is interesting to hear all of the interesting things others have done!
    FF

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    :biggrin_25525: I hope your ready for this one LOL. After being out for 4 years. Most "major" companies will want you to go our with a trainer/finisher for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, you've got your eye on a job already.

And welcome back to the big show.

5. lvjeffro

lvjeffro Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2007
    well lets see,

16-17/worked as a box boy at vons and albertsons

17-18/worked as a recreational supervisor 4 leisure world (retirement community)

18-19/worked at costco calling numbers until blew out disc in back picking up safe with customer and he dropped his end of it

19-24/on workers comp for many years and had a few surgeries

24-26/went to school for electro/mechanical engineering

26-27/worked on installing phone systems for commercial aircraft all over the world

27-28/Company went BK and couldn't find job right away so went and got CDL from dootson school of truck driving

28-32/worked as an application engineer for an industrial instruments company

32-33/worked as a night stocker for home depot

33-35/worked as an appliance delivery driver for lowes

35-36/cut off thumb w/ table saw in wood working accident

36-present/going to central refrigerated's school to get into the trucking game... start school on june 4th

There is my personal job history...Best job was application engineer, funnest job was working on aircraft all over the world... best place i lived was in stockholm sweden, that place is definitely a great country!!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.