Life dilemma

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by idriveaholden, May 3, 2020.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Appreciate any advise you more experienced guys out there might have..
    Don't know how the rest of you guys are doing during these past couple months , but we ran out work where i was at hauling os/ow and i got laid off. Getting sick of being at home on unemployment i landed another job. Ups feeder to be exact..which has to be one of the best company driver position out there. and to be honest i hate it. i love driving and in a month this job has basically left that by the wayside..
    personally i cant stand driving a box around. which gets me to my point..
    Right now i have a 100-150k guaranteed a year job that's local/weekends off. that if the pay wasn't so good i'd never be here.. its super easy and takes no skill and no challenge. but it does set my family and me up for a decent life with a lot of time home.
    If i went back to my old job when things get rolling again or found something like it. i'd be taking a pay cut and potentially get laid off again, but still building experience, having more interest in what i'm doing and probably always being able to find something doing the same type of thing.

This really has me torn apart.. i cant get over the fact i'll feel like i wasted my life doing a monotonous easy job, but on the other hand if i leave and it doesn't work out regretting leaving all the money on the table.
    30 years here i would easily be a multimillionaire.., and honestly it makes me a little mad these guys are being paid more to move a dry van around town then most guys pulling os/ow, flatbed or anything else..but that's beside the point and just another part of the mess trucking as a whole is in today...
    in the process of trying to make a new plan with all of this, just thought i'd see what you guys have to say...

do i take the easy route- stay here at ups my whole working career making a ton of money and having the guaranteed retirement, time home, job security. but i don't really like the job
    or
    the more risky - go back to oversize with a lot more unknowns. make probably less money, with less time home and less job security, maybe someday still being able to get my own truck, but just in general liking going to work most days.

i guess writing it out it's easier for me to see what to do, but this is the exact reason why i never went to ups, Walmart etc. sooner.. self satisfaction.
    but now i'm here and actually have to decide and it's not that easy
    thanks for reading. what would you do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    men, and women would kill you for that job.(i tried to get on with UPS several times, but back then, i didn't "know anyone" today, they pretty much hire anyone off the street.)

you will get a great retirement, benefits, etc.

4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Here is a thought: 30 million Americans are unemployed right now.

That's all I have to say.

5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I've been in the golden handcuffs position before, the way you outlined the choices and eventualities seems accurate.

In my case I faced hardships being free, but I was also free. No one depending on me, though, that's another kind of handcuffs.

You can hang in until something solud comes along. If that's your pkan, maybe get your post removed.

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Job satisfaction is important, but for that money, I can put up with some discomfort.
    You can retire early in life and move to your dream location and dream home.
    Set a goal and focus on that and consider the job as a stepping stone to get to your dream retired life.

homeskillet and Coffey Thank this.
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    when I was younger, I always went for what I felt like doing and the heck with the money.

I've had a VERY interesting job history and loved most every moment.

BUT, now that I am retired. that retirement money would sure come in handy, since the wife died and her city gov pension doesn't pass to me.

would I do it differently??

hell no, LOL.

I'm one of those that will slide thru the Pearly Gates saying," YEEEHAWW, what a ride!!!."

booley, kylefitzy, FoolsErrand and 5 others Thank this.
  8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Stay with UPS. May not get a second chance at it. Retirement day will come sooner then you think and you will have the money to enjoy it. Or...........Just say screw it and go back to what you were doing. :lol:

homeskillet Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What's the difference in health care costs where you are now and where you were?

homeskillet Thanks this.
  10. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    If it were me... I'd suck up the hate, and bank what you can now. The new "normal" will come back in time. But that may take months, so it sounds like your doing better than 95% of the unemployed/furloughed right now. And a good job to boot. RUN DAT ####

homeskillet and Coffey Thank this.
  11. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    With ups you can have a life and make good money with bennies and all
    that. Use your off hours doing something you enjoy. Learn to live making the easy money.

Owning a house, money set aside, time to live while young and and being able to live life-pricelesss.

I worked and did as I pleased all through my adult life. Now I worry some about retired life.

There is a lot to be said for enjoying your job but.

Hard choice. Good luck.

homeskillet, Coffey and wore out Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.