Life in North Dakota "Man Camps"?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by sexystuff911, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sexystuff911

sexystuff911 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    I'm on my Kindle and its hard to type, but I have two questions that can't wait...
    1. If you are working hourly for an employer, aren't they required to pay time and a half after 8 hours? I t bought this was a federal law and n it optional?

2. If you are working for percentage pay, isn't the employer required to give you a breakdown of t he pay you received per load?

Please respond ASAP!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    #1 does not apply to trucking....#2 I'm not sure about what is required, but no way I would work percentage without seeing the numbers.

4. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    % pay is tricky. Some companies come clean and others don't. I know our OOs always think they are getting shafted. But they are not allowed to see the real pay. Some have threatened and they were gone or not loaded. Most make plenty but I can see them wanting to know for sure.
    Someone trying to cobb you???

5. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Overtime pay is usually anything over 40. Some states have an anything over eight in a day is OT but not all of them. I believe California is one and Arizona might be.

unloader

6. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    Interstate (must regularly travel out of their home state) trucking companies are exempt from paying overtime. This law goes back over 100 years. All interstate commerce was exempted (Rail and Trucking) from OT, then Rail got there section overturned and here we are. If you are paid OT from an interstate company, it is because they want to keep you.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just a little FYI, the law doesn't go back a 100 years, it started with Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, which defined hours and wages and OT. Trucking and other transportation workers were exempt because of the nature of the job except if they were part of a union. Rail was exempt under the FLSA but they were covered under other laws and regulations.

MP3 > CB Thanks this.
  8. nd-newbie

nd-newbie Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Minot ND
    Trucking companies, long ago, got exemption from overtime laws. The drivers are screwed in this respect (in a bad way). It is an injustice, in my opinion, but then I am just a voting citizen who pays the bills for all the clowns in government. They're not asking me.

Most firms paying percentage pay for nothing but what you haul from A to B. No pay for anything else, unless you negotiate it before signing the contract. And unless they are desperate for drivers, they won't give one cent more than their contract says. Most office staff up here wouldn't know how to modify a contract anyway. They're brain-dead or evil, or both. That said, a few of the big companies allow shift drivers to bill out to 12 hours per day even if they don't work all 12 hours, or if they work part of the day and then have a breakdown, or if you sit and wait all day for the client to give the go-ahead to actually start work. You will make less money working for the big boys and running legal hours, but there are perks to working for them.

One final note on pay. Mortgage companies will sooner give you a home loan if you work hourly instead of percentage. YMMV.

9. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Ya if your not getting overtime, leave...most do..that's #1 reason for moving to oilpatch!!! The overtime!!

I wouldn't bother with whether its illegal or not, just go where they pay it

Housing? Def the maker or breaker..

I got into my $900 dollar fema trailer and there was a stinkinass stinkbag picking his feet up on the coffee table, 2 guys speaking Arabic, one deaf guy, and 2 mechanics that hated everybody..It was a small bunk bed I couldn't fit on..I was in hell

If I goback, I will pick a company based on their housing...Def need target logistics at least

DrivingForceBehindYou Thanks this.
  10. Budha

Budha Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Here
    I'm not in the oilfield , but I am in trucking and get paid by the hour...at our company atleast anything after 40 is time and a half...not 8 hours a day. Dont know about other places though

11. Driver5

Driver5 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    This sounds like a nightmare... glad I'm getting a camper for my truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.