Life in Swift Flatbed division!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by needitnow, Mar 4, 2017.

1. needitnow

needitnow Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2014
    What's up Truckers Report. I just see so much negativity towards Swift Transport. I just signed on to there flatbed division and am pulling out Monday 3/6/17. I'll post about loads and miles. And what ever else anyone ask me to answer. First downside is the truck. Swift uses 42" sleepers on flatbed trucks.

KB3MMX, RedRover, Bakari742 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Good deal.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Reason for edit: Error
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Western Express :love4: Swift. The cutest thing ever

5. Rubicon

Rubicon Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Well, I hope you have an enjoyable time with Swift and look forward to updates. Thank you.

Reason for edit: Error
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Don't get upset, I just thought it was funny cause these two companies usually get a lot of hate. I don't doubt that there are good and proffesional drivers in these companies.
    Didn't mean to personally make fun of you, but rather at a situation.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Spend a while out here and you'll see why, they've earned their reputation.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    @Lepton1, @FerrissWheel and @RedRover can probably answer any questions YOU may need.

BTW, Swift earned its reputation. It is beyond any one driver's ability to change such a bad rep. So don't drink the Swift KoolAid and don't pledge allegiance to the Swift flag. Swift sees you as expendable. You should see them as nothing more than a toehold. And that goes for any company. Companies have their agenda. You'd better have your own. Anyways, I don't have any questions that you can answer, so I will back out of your thread.

Luck in battle.

9. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    As @TripleSix and @johndeere4020 said Swift earned every last bit of poor reputation they have.

That's not to say you aren't a good driver and that none work there. Unfortunately a large number of their steering wheel holders have no business behind the wheel of a truck.

People will judge you simply because you stepped out of a Swift truck. Don't let their comments affect you.

Do your job well and pay attention to what your doing. Take pride in the loads you haul.

In a year or two of safe driving you'll be wanting to move on to bigger and better things.

Best of luck to you.

macavoy, 1951 ford, Chewy352 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Done a lot of miles in a 1978 W900A with 42" sleeper, 36" crawl through's too. May not be a motel room but make the best out of it. Most important thing to pay attention to will be on the outside of the windshield, that goes for all of us. Be safe out there.

11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thank you for the invite to this fine thread @TripleSix.

@needitnow welcome to trucking in general and flatbedding in particular. During my two year stint with Swift my only regret was not starting out right away in the flatbed division.

There's plenty that can be learned at Swift that will serve you well. Pay attention and incorporate all the good things into good habits. Ignore the negative. Learn the "system" and how to work it to your benefit. Be willing to run any load, anywhere, at anytime. You will be a company driver, so you don't care whether or not you are going into a low paying freight lane.

OP, what's your career plan after putting in a solid year or two at Swift?

Dan.S and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.