Life with boyd

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by massparanoia, Sep 8, 2012.

1. massparanoia

massparanoia Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Hey guys I got a few questions about Boyd. I am graduating school at the end of the month and I live in Richmond VA. I want to get into a good company to get my feet wet and I want to do flatbed to get that experience as well. I have looked at Boyd, maverick and roehl. Based on what I have seen on here Boyd seems like a pretty good place to start.

What is their training program like? Is it the typical 4-6 weeks out with a trainer?

What would home time be like since I live in VA?

Do they pretty much run the standard 2000 +\- miles per week?

Thanks for the info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    Their training program is your with a trainer for 6-8 weeks, in VA, we load out of Steel Dynamics in Roanoak so you might have hometime. You should get pretty good miles.

massparanoia Thanks this.
  4. massparanoia

Aug 18, 2012
    How do you like their lease program? Does it work out to where you actually net more than you would as a company driver? Can you pick your loads and runs or is dispatch forced?

5. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    I wouldn't lease for 5 years, but yeah, its decent. Forced dispatch.

6. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Ya may want to wait until you at least get your CDL before thinkg about leasing bro? Don't put the cart ahead of the horse, because you will end up regretting it big time. I know you're super pumped,but trust me, like was stated by insert name, wait years to see how you like the industry before you sign anything that'll wreck your financial situation for years if you decide you don't like it!! Good luck,and I think you made a pretty good choice with Boyd.

7. massparanoia

Aug 18, 2012
    Oh yeah man don't worry I have no intentions of leasing until I have at least 2 years under my belt. I'm just a curious person (a vice of mine) so I always find myself asking lots of questions. Thanks for looking out though.

8. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Actually questioning #### is a good thing man! Too many folks go into this with a pre-conceived notion stuck in their head, do no research what so ever,question absolutely nothing along the way,and then are surprised/pizzed off when they find out that this is nothing like they imagined. ;-). You're going about this the way evrybody should....Once again, good luck,stay safe, and hang in there at the beginning. It does get easier as you go along!!

9. massparanoia

Aug 18, 2012
    Thanks man. I am definitely doing my homework before I jump into a company. So far I have Boyd and maverick on my short list for otr companies. I was looking at roehl but they don't have any of the 7/7 or 14/7 spots open in my area. I do have an appointment with the manager of my local old dominion freight terminal this Friday to put in an app and have an interview so I am hoping that goes well.

10. Flatbed...

Flatbed... Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    I have posted about Boyd in the past and said good things, but I have to retract everything I previously said. I've worked for them for 8 years now. The trucks are now slowed down to 60 MPH, SLOWER THAN JB HUNT! They are going to 100% elogs soon, and the new trucks have security cameras looking at the drivers. when I started there, they were a good company to work for, but it's become obvious this company is circling the drain. Boyd used to be a good deal, but the industry is changing.
    From what I'm hearing, it seems a large number of companies are doing this crap. After 20 years on the road, I think it may be time to end my trucking career. This seems to be the direction the industry is going. I got into the trucking business in order to be self-directed with no supervisor looking over my shoulder all the time. It's become obvious that that way of life is coming to an end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.